Swamp Rat Rattle Hawk? Practicality?

How practical is the Rattle Hawk? I get scared at the thought that it might put one of my eyes out. Might purchase one in the future.

As long as you embrace your fear, never forget for a second that it's trying to take your eye and, and Respect it, you should be okay. I prefer the Pork Chop for this exact reason. I know there will come a moment in use when I'm tired. That's when accidents can happen. I'd rather hit myself with a blunt, hammer like surface than a freakin sharpened spike. I also like the ability to bash the heck out of whatever without using a blade edge/cutting what I'm bashing. However, I will say the Rattle Hawk LOOKS much cooler.

I'm curious too, as I got one in my grab bags and I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to keep it.

Sold mine. Was wicked cool, but that thin pointy beard was delicate. The Sniper hawk is more practical.

Anyone got a vid or a report of throwing the rattle hawk?

It's good.
24YJ26t.jpg

I have one. I've done a bit of wood wacking. Less throwing. One word of caution. If you are throwing it. It is a long, single piece of steel. It can hit a hard target and come back at you with nearly the same speed you threw it with.

I have been throwing knives for nearly my whole life (and tomahawks only about 17 yeas) A long spring tempered knife can hit just right and come right back at you.

The same is true for these. I have a few really hard stumps. Not really great for throwing. I've had a rattle hawk come right back at me, like a spinning wheel of death. More than once. The head hit right across the top. Flat. On a softer target, it would have sank in.

Also, the sniper hawk would likely have suck with that same orientation (the head on that hawk has a more traditional too point that makes it more likely).

I would prefer the rattle hawk to have more point, rather than the rounded top point it has. That is one reason. Another is on a grazing strike on a target, the top point on the rattle hawk is more likely to slide off. A pointed horn will cut more. Also for jabs, the rounded point is less stellar than a 90 or more degree angled point would be.

The point on the beard is NASTY! If you hooked a limb, neck, arm, or any other body part (stomach, groin, Achilles, etc, etc) it would do tremendous damage. It seems pretty acute for a hawk, but I've pounded it into wood (very hard wood) I've hooked it and pulled it out, etc with no Ill effects. If you mamaged to damage it, the warranty would cover you.

Honestly, I've got other hawks (more traditional) that are better as camp/ general purpose uses. The rattle hawk is pretty nasty for camp chores!

RjVhtTZ.jpg

Last edited:
I have one. I've done a bit of wood wacking. Less throwing. One word of caution. If you are throwing it. It is a long, single piece of steel. It can hit a hard target and come back at you with nearly the same speed you threw it with.

I have been throwing knives for nearly my whole life (and tomahawks only about 17 yeas) A long spring tempered knife can hit just right and come right back at you.

The same is true for these. I have a few really hard stumps. Not really great for throwing. I've had a rattle hawk come right back at me, like a spinning wheel of death. More than once. The head hit right across the top. Flat. On a softer target, it would have sank in.

Also, the sniper hawk would likely have suck with that same orientation (the head on that hawk has a more traditional too point that makes it more likely).

I would prefer the rattle hawk to have more point, rather than the rounded top point it has. That is one reason. Another is on a grazing strike on a target, the top point on the rattle hawk is more likely to slide off. A pointed horn will cut more. Also for jabs, the rounded point is less stellar than a 90 or more degree angled point would be.

The point on the beard is NASTY! If you hooked a limb, neck, arm, or any other body part (stomach, groin, Achilles, etc, etc) it would do tremendous damage. It seems pretty acute for a hawk, but I've pounded it into wood (very hard wood) I've hooked it and pulled it out, etc with no Ill effects. If you mamaged to damage it, the warranty would cover you.

Honestly, I've got other hawks (more traditional) that are better as camp/ general purpose uses. The rattle hawk is pretty nasty for camp chores!

RjVhtTZ.jpg
Thanks for the report! Very interesting...

I would go for a pork chop while there are still some grab bag ones left at reasonable prices

Thanks for the report! Very interesting...

I used to have a perfect round for throwing. Soft pine. 30 years Old. My most recent stump cuts have been pretty tough. It's getting harder to get a good throwing round these days.

I asked about this awhile ago. General consensus is that the sniper and the crash axe are a better all arounder. The Rattle Hawk is strictly for fighting and I've seen many pictures where the user cuts himself trying to wield it. I do love the look of it though.

KDSH is definitely the more practical choice of the two larger hawks IMO. The Rattle Hawk is like wielding a Rattlesnake, lol, never know if she's gonna bite YOU! :eek:

Still haven't decided if I prefer the Pork Chop to the KDSH or not. Just optimized the edge of my PC on Friday, and haven't had a chance to use it this weekend. KDSH has pretty big boots to fill!

For throwing the KDSH is much better. And both hawks are not really made for splitting wood...

Back