Photos Swamp Rat Vex Sharpening

Love my little Vex. I always thought the edge was a bit obtuse though. So finally got around to knocking the shoulders down. I thinned it out a fair bit as this knife doesn't need to be able to withstand a 10 megaton nuclear blast directly on the edge.

All freehand on a diamond stone with some water. Then a strop to polish it off, and it's now like a mini lightsaber!

Ugly as hell and ready for work. Just the way I like em...

tumblr_p615hxT9z61siuc9oo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_p615hxT9z61siuc9oo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_p615hxT9z61siuc9oo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_p615hxT9z61siuc9oo1_1280.jpg

And here's a little shave test video...

I feel the same way about my Vex. Cool EDC that is way too thick behind the edge, but I haven’t gotten around yet to doing anything about it. This is what I call inspiration. ;):thumbsup:

I still feel that a (Mini) Vex would suit my daily carry wants nearly perfectly. I say nearly since I would need to thin it down quite a bit. The only "problem" is that my park ranger suits me just fine. Due to this, I have shelved my search for the time being.

Nice pics, I am glad that it is working out for you.

Looks good Rob! Sharpening a knife by hand can be a good form of therapy. One more thing I should make some time for.

Very nice job Rob, i have a VEX coming, & some stones.
thanks for sharing. Therapy...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    291.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I have an identical Vex, and I too found it too thick behind the edge.
So I have been doing the very same thing.
Not quite there yet, but I'll get there.
It does need a good deal material removed.

I have an identical Vex, and I too found it too thick behind the edge.
So I have been doing the very same thing.
Not quite there yet, but I'll get there.
It does need a good deal material removed.

Mate I think we picked ours up at the same time at Blade in 2013? Now I've knocked the edge shoulders off, this knife is even more awesomer!! I love it!

Very nice job Rob, i have a VEX coming, & some stones.
thanks for sharing. Therapy...

Nice one!! I only have the one. Might be time to get a better one or two. This diamond one is wearing out. However it does put an amazing edge on the knives. Being 600 grit, the blade stays super slicey for a long time.

Mate I think we picked ours up at the same time at Blade in 2013? Now I've knocked the edge shoulders off, this knife is even more awesomer!! I love it!

We sure did!
Even with its thick grind, it has been a good companion in the woods.
Now it is a perfect one.

Back