Swapping out stock bearings on an iMamba

zippifish

Gold Member
Trying to decide whether I want to order an iMamba with bearings or washers, I would prefer bearings but have hand tremors which I think servicing loose bearings would be an exercise in frustration, tasks that require fine motoring skills although not impossible can be somewhat challenging at times. I have swapped many a knives with Skiffs and if anyone has done the swap and would tell me what they ordered would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed that the latest version of the iMamba available for preorder now give you an option for caged ceramic bearings (instead of loose) or washers.

I don’t suppose the caged bearings could be easily swapped into knives that came with loose bearings?

Hoping we have an answer to OPs question someday as I would like to throw skiffs in mine (currently on washers)

IIRC the race is machined into the blade and there are stainless races on the frame side that are fitted.

Its been a while since I had mine apart.

Bearings on my iMamba are super smooth, super fall shutty, but pocket lint, etc, tend to slow it down.

If I were to get another, it would be on washers, simply for the maintenance free piece of mind.

Plus, those tiny little gosh dang balls are super small. No fun with my eyes.

Bearings on my iMamba are super smooth, super fall shutty, but pocket lint, etc, tend to slow it down.

If I were to get another, it would be on washers, simply for the maintenance free piece of mind.

“Gosh dang balls” haha…..I like it! Refreshing to hear someone talk like a normal mature human being instead of the crude, moronic language you usually see in these comments.

New orders come with caged bearings, washers are still an option too.

Never was impressed with the light detent, how can I improve it? Any idea if the new caged bearings are backwards compatible?

Feels like the detent ball falls in the hole pretty good. Bend the lockbar a bit?

PXL_20230321_004552834.PORTRAIT (1).jpg

Last edited:
Well, I just fell in love with the iMamba again. Just need to do one more thing and it’ll be the perfect knife. (Bye bye flipper tab)

The washers make this knife NICE! So much better then the caged bearings! Thank you so much Ruan. The action is amazing on washers. IMG_1188.jpegIMG_1189.jpeg

Well, I just fell in love with the iMamba again. Just need to do one more thing and it’ll be the perfect knife. (Bye bye flipper tab)

The washers make this knife NICE! So much better then the caged bearings! Thank you so much Ruan. The action is amazing on washers. View attachment 2302748View attachment 2302749
Josh can you please let me know the process of converting my IMamba on loose bearings to one on washers. Thank you!

Josh can you please let me know the process of converting my IMamba on loose bearings to one on washers. Thank you!
It was really easy Martin, just make sure you do it over a bowl or paper plate. When you take the pivot screw and scale screw off it’ll all pop apart and loose bearings go everywhere haha. Then the washers just go in over the top of the existing bearing races. It was super easy, now I wished I would of taken some pictures.

It was really easy Martin, just make sure you do it over a bowl or paper plate. When you take the pivot screw and scale screw off it’ll all pop apart and loose bearings go everywhere haha. Then the washers just go in over the top of the existing bearing races. It was super easy, now I wished I would have taken some pictures.
You had me at, loose bearings go everywhere🤗. Where does one get the pieces to get in on the fun🤔

The washers make this knife NICE! So much better then the caged bearings! Thank you so much Ruan. The action is amazing on washers. View attachment 2302748View attachment 2302749
Glad you got the washers and hope you enjoy the washer version.

Back