Swedge option: who wants it ?

I was looking at some sweet pics of some older GSO 7/7 with swedge and started thinking....
Wouldn't it be nice to have a swedge option on the larher GSO knives ?
I would love my GSO 8 to be swedged !

Please educate me as to the purpose of the swedge. It looks cool, but I don't understand its purpose, especially if it isn't sharp.

Please educate me as to the purpose of the swedge. It looks cool, but I don't understand its purpose, especially if it isn't sharp.

Currently it is very rare, but also cool looking. It has the tactical piercing advantage for soldiers and we have some crazy Texans around here who like to stab wild hogs when hunting ;)

Currently it is very rare, but also cool looking. It has the tactical piercing advantage for soldiers and we have some crazy Texans around here who like to stab wild hogs when hunting ;)

I'm not Texan but I would love to have this feature !
Piercing is good for a defensive knife but a sharper point makes it more useful for certain functions such as making a bowdrill set.

I'm a crazy Texan. I just sharpened up an old piece of rebar for wild hog stabbin'... Works good!

Damn Texans!

I would love a swedge on my 7/7.

For the record, I <3 Texans :D

Tex, I'm not sure how you feel about secondary market modding, but in the custom wishlist thread somebody mentioned someone who could swedgify a blade. Maybe an option for your stock 7/7???

I've got a mate from Texas. Texas, Queensland. Serious, look it up. Right on the border of QLD and NSW. Out there they go shopping for pigs using dogs. But he doesn't usually swedge his dogs..

I also heard Elmer Fudd goes out pig hunting on occasion. But he beats them to death using a swedge hammer.. Ahaaaaaa.... I kill me!

Oops. Another thread derailed. Sorry folks..

I've got a mate from Texas. Texas, Queensland. Serious, look it up. Right on the border of QLD and NSW. Out there they go shopping for pigs using dogs. But he doesn't usually swedge his dogs..

I also heard Elmer Fudd goes out pig hunting on occasion. But he beats them to death using a swedge hammer.. Ahaaaaaa.... I kill me!

Oops. Another thread derailed. Sorry folks..

I had to say swedge hammer out loud to get the Fudd reference ;)

Haha yeps that's it Silvz. Those four pictures are the only four nice pictures ever taken in that town. Everything else is about as Bogan (Australian redneck) as you can get..

I like swedges on smaller blades used for field-dressing, especially on a blade with a drop point profile. Where it helps me is that it gives a nice thin taper to the point so that you have a sharp but controllable tool for adjusting the depth of cut/slice. This really helps when opening down the legs and allows you to adjust for the depth of cut, keeping you just breaking the skin but out of the muscle. It works in this use specifically because the swedge is left unsharpened.

Sure thing bud. I'm not crazy about swedges on blades I might baton with, but a swedge on a 4.1 for a hunting blade makes sense IMO.

Last edited:
I like swedges on smaller blades used for field-dressing, especially on a blade with a drop point profile. Where it helps me is that it gives a nice thin taper to the point so that you have a sharp but controllable tool for adjusting the depth of cut/slice. This really helps when opening down the legs and allows you to adjust for the depth of cut, keeping you just breaking the skin but out of the muscle. It works in this use specifically because the swedge is left unsharpened.

Yes when it's put like that and used like that it makes perfect sense to me.

Yes please. As an option on the entire line-up would be very cool.

However, I'd really like to see something on the 7/7, whether it's this feature brought back or something else to help differentiate the 7/7 so it stands out from the group as it should.

^^ on the 7/7 would be cool, for sure, but I'm thinking also on the smaller lineup as well - on the 2.7 and 3.5.

i would buy a 7/7 with a swedge, something like the original 7/7 i watched Guy stab a kevlar vest with

Back