Swedish army bayonet

I have one of the 9 1/4 in. double-edged Swedish army bayonets made by Wagner, the Swiss army knife maker. I've tried to sharpen it but none of my sharpeners or files will cut it. In fact, the only thing that worked slightly was a diamond sharpener.
Does anyone know what type of steel this is or the Rockwell hardness of this bayonet?
Has anyone managed to sharpen one of these?
Thanks for any info!

I'm guessing that you have one of the one's for the Mauser type rifle? like this one:
http://www.brocksguns.com/images/edged wpns/C0043 SWEDE 96 BAYO.jpg

Those have been made by these companies:
Eskilstuna Jernmanufactur AB
Carl Gustaf Stad
E.A.Berg AB
And not by Wegner.

If you have an older bayonet i suggest that you don't sharpen it as it might affect any collectors value.

Later bayonets for the Ak4 (G3) has been manufactured by BACHO and Eickhorn.

HTH

:)

Originally posted by Conajohara
I have one of the 9 1/4 in. double-edged Swedish army bayonets made by Wagner, the Swiss army knife maker. I've tried to sharpen it but none of my sharpeners or files will cut it. In fact, the only thing that worked slightly was a diamond sharpener.
Does anyone know what type of steel this is or the Rockwell hardness of this bayonet?
Has anyone managed to sharpen one of these?
Thanks for any info!

This came up on Rec.Knives this is an excerpt from an email from Victorinox

"The blade of the bayonet was however not stainless steel, it was made of material 1.7103 = 67 Si Cr5. The letter "W" was marked on the bayonet blades made by Wenger whilst those manufactured by Victorinox carry the letter "V""

What ever the steel is it is called 1.71903= 67Si Cr5. It is probably designed for toughness not edge holding.

Putting an edge on the blade is probably futile. The blade is .250 thick and about an inch wide. Since it is double edged blade each edge is basically twice as wide as it is thick. The edge profile is roughly that of a cold chisel.

If you are lookng for a double edge bayonet that will sharpen up and really cut look for a Belgan FN 49.

Drew

1.7103/ 67SiCr5 is a low alloy spring steel with 0.62-0.72 C, 1.20-1.40 Si, and 0.40-0.60 Chrome. HRC is probably somewhere in the mid 40's to low 50's.

- Frank

Back