"Sweet-spot" for japanese sword?

If you were to try to pick a japanese (or japanese inspired) sword for actual combat use today, what would be your choice for the best one with the following considerations in mind?
- best value : very good quality considering the price
- utilization of the physical attributes that make a great katana (differential hardening from edge to hamon, choice of best steel, etc.) but not a priority to create a work of art; this sword would be for use
- availability : some makers make great blades with the above criteria in mind, but rarely have one available
Just to reassure you, this is largely a rhetorical question; I have no current plans for heading off to Iraq thus armed!

The Chinese Jian was used in Japan untill the daisho was developed around 700'ish A.D. They were commonly made and used in Japan untill that time. I would choose that since its more versitile and easyer to use.

Are you asking what production model currently available we would pick? Or what historically based type/design of sword out of Japan we would pick?

Kind of confused.

Honestly, I can't imagine spending $5,000 on a katana and beating it around. I would go with a sub $500 katana with a great blade, TRASH the tsuka, and get a new one custom made and fitted. Pick or make your own furnishings, learn to wrap the tsuka, etc.

If I didn't want all that trouble. I'd go with a Bugei Trading Company sword. Probably the Dragonfly. But honestly I like my Cheness Shura blade enough to put money into a custom tsuka fit. Much cheaper, if the blade fails you can replace it for cheap and possibly re-use the tsuka several times over.

Sorry I'm not more articulate. To clarify, I'm asking what current production sword, not what style. The style should be traditional Japanese katana. The price point isn't critical, but like you it doesn't seem reasonable to spend inordinate amounts for a sword that could see use. At the same time, I'm looking for high value for the dollar, and one with the combination of edge holding plus resiliance that traditional katanas have with their differential in forging temperatures and use of usually more than one type of steel at different parts of the blade. I guess lets focus on price between several hundred and several thousand dollars.

I just checked out the Cheness site - very cool and reasonable. I may end up picking one of those up in the future. Any tips on tsuka upgrades?

http://www.japanese-swords.com/ - They offer jsut about everything.

There are alot of makers though, and pretty much UNLIMITED options. If you can't find somethign you want, e-mail the maker with a link to a material you want, they usually will be happy to order it and include it.

I'd join up at www.swordforum.com and start searching/reading/posting. Great site, that is where I started learning about Japanese style swords and also where I obtained my wakizashi (forum sale).

EDIT: I KNOW there are more makers...but right now searching the internet is proving very hard. I'll remember mroe and post back.

Back