Swell Center Balloon Pattern

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
I've always liked this pattern. I collected Balloon Whittlers for a while, before I discovered the Jacks and Pens, but they all have a pleasing, easy to grip shape, and are relatively unobtrusive in your pocket. I have trouble gripping a peanut, so this is about as small as I like a knife. These were all made by Schrade or Ulster, some by Schrade using Ulster tooling. At least one was made for another company, but by Schrade.
All the blades are full, so this makes a good study group. The 5th knife is a pen, and the blade fills the space when closed. The 7th knife may be 1/16" short in the main blade, so the only one that is slightly suspect.
Please enjoy, and show us yours!
SchradeSwells.jpg

SchradeSwellTangs.jpg

Excellent collection Charlie! The condition is incredible! You just may have a Camillus in there as well;) Is that Langbein the typesetters knife?

Eric

I got a swell center virus on a 70s era Case whittler I bought, I have been infected now ever since. Thanks for the fix, I mean pix! I also have a psychological disorder of a swedge obsession that goes along with the Swell center virus.
CJ

Mine are old, but your Southington is ANCIENT John!! Nice one!!!:thumbup:

Sorry you are not well C.J!!:( - - - Buy two knives, and call me in the morning!!:D

Case6208mine.jpg

This is what got me started with swell centers. Prior to that it was small stockmans by Case. The bone scales have some areas where the brown color did not penetrate, which to me made it even more special. If you look to the left bottom of my poor picture, you can see it a little bit. :cool:

Excellent collection Charlie! The condition is incredible! You just may have a Camillus in there as well;) Is that Langbein the typesetters knife?

Eric

Which one is a Camillus, Eric? Yes the Langbein has a typesetter's blade.
These are the seller's pictures;
Typesettersawlpick.jpg

Typesettersawlpick1.jpg

Not an old one, but this 1988 Winchester is in my pocket everyday as my "usin' knife."
SDC10204.jpg

SDC10203.jpg

It's my favorite pocketknife!
Ron

Charlie, thanks for the picks of the Langbein, I thought the etch looked familiar. Mighty rare knife that one. If that Kon-Kav is an 863, I heard (or read) someplace that they were contracted through Camillus. I'll try to dig it up.

Eric

I love the swedged spear point blades...I have a jones for those, my favorite that I own is on a Case Baby Butterbean in Shadowbone.

Only center swell I own however is a 1982 Case 6225 1/2 in Appaloosa Bone. It get carried in the watch pocket of my jeans in rotation with other similar sized knives.

appcase1.jpg

appcase2.jpg

Wade, those, however, are not swell center balloons fwiw.

Aside from having the same Winchester as Ron shows above, here's one each from Queen and Rigid that are the only others I have:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

(images courtesy of Cumblerland Knifeworks and A.G. Russell)

Elliott,

I am not clear what I am looking at.
Are we only talking about the shape?
The knife needs a good set of hips?

The bolsters do not need to be equal width?
The blades configuration does not matter?

Thanks

Nice bolster treatment on the Rigid, Elliott! Is that a U.S. made knife? I know nothing about Rigids.

Nice bolster treatment on the Rigid, Elliott! Is that a U.S. made knife? I know nothing about Rigids.

I think I read somewhere that they were a combined effort between Queen and Canal Street.

Back