Swing Guard questions

I recently picked up a Queen swing guard (D2, Cocobolo) 'cause I didn't have one in my collection. I was a little surprised at how delicate it feels for a 4 1/2" closed knife. Lightweight, slim handles and a narrow blade. I like it.

Is the Queen unit similar to those sold under the Schatt & Morgan, and/or Canal Street names? How do the Case models compare? Same general feel and heft?

Finally, what's the history of this pattern? Is it an old one? I've found little info online and much of it deals with autos, which I'm not (currently :)) interested in.

-- Sam

Here is a little info I found on a Case site:

This pattern dates back to the Case Brothers era 1896 - 1915. Throughout its existence, it has been manufactured with and without a swing guard and with and without a locking mechanism. Some early patterns have two blades (clip and pen), and no locking mechanism. W.R. Case discontinued it after the 1980 production year, and later reintroduced it in 2002

I Own the Queen D2 Cocobola Swing guard. This Knife is respoinsible for launching my swing guard fettish. The Case Cheetah swing guards and the Marbles swing guards just dont compare. I dont have any experience with Cannal Street.

While neither the Case or the Marbles exibited any blade play, the tangs were rounded at the edges; the Queen is nice and square. Bolth The Case and the Marbles exibited some play in the guard, NEW in the box, while the Queen doesn't even after use. Bolt the Case and Marbles were in Jigged bone, and had about the same heft, even though there blases were not as wide, or long. I think the Queen is clearly supperior in workmanship to either of them.

The Queen Stag bone Swing guard, and the Schatt & Morgan swing guard on now on the list :)

Back