swiss tool vs leatherman

Greetings all

I recently broke beyond my ability to repair a swiss tool ( I was impressed it took 6 years of hard use). I started looking for a replacement and like some of the features of the leatherman charge and similar. I don't like the location of the tool lock. I wonder about the possiblity of accidently unlocking the tool while in use. Does anyone have this problem. For those who have both is the leatherman as robust as the swiss tool?

thanks for your replys.

I swore by my Swiss Army knife for years, but purchased a Leatherman New Wave (and Wave before that). I now wonder how I was crazy enough to use a knife without a locking blade for so many years!

Never had any problem with the Wave's tool locks, and Leatherman is as robust as the Swiss. I do miss the magnifying glass and corkscrew, though. Also, I like the SAK can opener better.

perpster said:
I swore by my Swiss Army knife for years, but purchased a Leatherman New Wave (and Wave before that). I now wonder how I was crazy enough to use a knife without a locking blade for so many years!

Never had any problem with the Wave's tool locks, and Leatherman is as robust as the Swiss. I do miss the magnifying glass and corkscrew, though. Also, I like the SAK can opener better.

Victorinox multi-tools - not SAKs!

Personally, I'd still choose a SwissTool over a Leatherman Charge since the tools which I use most are readily accessible from the closed plier position. Also, the screwdrivers are longer than the stubby ones on my Leatherman Charge.

The tool locks on a Charge can be depressed by squeezing or gripping the handles tightly, but not enough to disengage them. See here for a complete review of the LM Charge: http://www.equipped.org/lm_charge-wave.htm

=)

I agree with stevekt. Send your SwissTool back to Victorinox for them to repair or replace. They might be able to fix it.

If you're so impressed that it took you six years of "hard use" to break your original SwissTool, beyond your ability to repair, why not just get another SwissTool? It sounds like you'd be pleased with it.

GeoThorn

Send it in to Victorinox and they will most likely send you a new one , they did me ;)

Dunc

I do like the SwissTool and my plan was to get another. The I saw leatherman made changes and like some of them. Such as one model has a replaceable saw that looks like it'll take Bosch style saber saw blades and the tiny screw driver looks good for glasses and the replaceable screwdriver bits.

Maybe the solution is to get one of each.

As for sending it back to Victorinox, I'd feel guilty. What I call hard use most call abuse (and what I call abuse has been likened to insanity)

son_of_bluegrass said:
I do like the SwissTool and my plan was to get another. The I saw leatherman made changes and like some of them. Such as one model has a replaceable saw that looks like it'll take Bosch style saber saw blades and the tiny screw driver looks good for glasses and the replaceable screwdriver bits.

Maybe the solution is to get one of each.

As for sending it back to Victorinox, I'd feel guilty. What I call hard use most call abuse (and what I call abuse has been likened to insanity)

In re the tiny screwdriver, I find it pretty useless and wish there were an awl instead. It is really too small for my eyeglasses or almost anything else in my life and is anyway not a good match with the ponderous handle behind it. The interchangeable bits on the larger holder, however, are a nice feature that I occasionally use.

May I ask, what in the world do you do that causes such destructo to your Swisstool? :confused:

Swisstool has the best pliers...:thumbup: Blunt nose pliers and short cutting edges are the most sturdy.

But, i like the use of security screws in new wave much better than the fixed pins in swisstool.:thumbdn:

I have both, actually about a dozen multi-tools. Im an Animal Control Officer and carry both the Swiss Tool RS and Leatherman Charge xti when on duty. The Swiss Tool for its curved blunt tip blade for idiots that let their animals grow into their collars below skin level. Also for its saw, that only victorinox can make, for getting through walls. The Charge's main job is the pliers. I had an animal try getting through a chain link fence getting stuck half way, I used the wire cutters squeezing and squeezing not realizing they already sliced though the metal with no effort. The clip also comes in handy, climbing up a 100 ft fire truck aeriel ladder is not fun with a sixty pound duty belt on, I can clip it to my pocket and rescue whatever has to be rescued. The different size bits comes in handy for ventilation rescue jobs as well. Ive never been a fan of Leatherman but the Charge changed my mind. If you can only carry one however I'd probably just go with the Swiss Tool. If you go with the Leatherman I'd go with the scissors one the gut hook or "seatbelt blade" Ive found to be pretty useless.

znapschatz said:
May I ask, what in the world do you do that causes such destructo to your Swisstool? :confused:

Things I've used the Swisstool for which it may not have been rated for:
cutting concertina wire when some fool drove over it and had it tangled all around the wheels, I've cut other hardened wire as well but that was the toughest
freeing frozen bolts - one such venture someone pointed out the handles were almost touching I gripped so hard to get a bite on the nut
At one point not having anything else they were used to pound a pin free (yes it had to get done)
Essentially anything a heavy duty pair of pliers or vice grips would be called for but not available.
The jaws will withstand some prying as well.
The point where they gave up was just tightining a nut.

People who know me are impressed they lasted 6 years.

Back