Swisstool wire stripper/scraper

Do any of you swisstool owners use the wire stripper and scraper on the chisel blade ? I cant seem to get on with it , would someone be able to post a close up picture of the chisel blade as im not sure if mine is how it should be .Also do you have much play in the pliers , mine cuts fine wire ok but there is some sideways play , this is my third swisstool which has just been replaced under the warranty but i cant help thinking that maybe all the replacement ones they give out are seconds with slight faults , as this one hade alot of burrs on the tools that hadnt been cleaned off , mostly on the saw and wire cutters :confused:

Duncan

dunc5, i can't post pics but i never used thr stripper part. i use splicing sissors. the girls in the office call them "man sissors"!! always makes me laugh. i did use the scraper and mine was just a simple chisel grind, at about 45 deg. it was very sharp also. the side-play in the jaws can be "fixed" by "peaning" the center of the pivot pin. lay pliers on flat sturdy surface, like a bench-vice, using a center punch, try to find the center of the pivot pin that is NOT the fixed side(look at the jaws move, one side, the pin and jaw move independant of each other) and punch it. this "tightens" up the action of the jaws.

!@#$%^&*()**IF YOU TRY THIS, BE WARNED; HIT THE CENTER PUNCH EASY AND THEN CHECK THE ACTION OF THE JAWS! IF NOT TIGHT ENOUGH, TRY AGAIN EASILY AND CHECK AGAIN! KEEP DOING THIS UNTIL YOU REACH THE DESIRED ACTION! THIS WILL FIX SAID PROBLEM BUT YOU CAN GO TO FAR AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO USE THE PLIERS!@#$%^&*()**

just go easy and you'll be ok. I ruined a pair by hitting to hard. Don't want you to go through same thing.

any questions e-mail me. Walter

one of the handle of my new swisstool had some side play(the joint part to the pliers),wht about u guys?is it normal??? :confused:

ckl, this is a fairly common problem on pliers. the two "jaws" are pressed together and develope some wobble (loose fit at the pivot) over time or can be that way new. the only fix i know of that will end this is discribed above. you can send the pliers back, but you will have the same problem arrise again. if you try the "fix" i discribed above, **heed my warning!**

hope this helps. Walter

sorry,i mean one of the handle had side play,not the pliers itself......(that part use a pin i think to lock the pliers and handle in place.)

ckl said:
sorry,i mean one of the handle had side play,not the pliers itself......(that part use a pin i think to lock the pliers and handle in place.)

I would say thats quite rare on a victorinox swisstool , ive had 3 and the pliers have had play on all of them some more than others but never had the handles loose , theve always been very tight . Its common on well used leathermans , just send it back with a letter . How old is it and has it always been like this ?

Dunc

Just bought a new swisstool X , much better than my replacement swisstool , pliers have no play in them and all the tools are tight . Although my replacement tool is new its very loose with a bit of woble in the blades . Im sure but cant proove it that the replacement tools under warrenty are quality control failures :grumpy:

Dunc

Back