"sword" blank stock help

Hello,
I am involved in a sport called Buhurt / Medieval Armored Combat. In that sport we use "sword shaped objects" as part of the combat. Meaning the tips are roughly the same profile as a quarter and the edges are prettly close to dead flat. Just enough removed from the edges to round them over, but although we beat each other, we want to be relatively safe with our sport.

These are typically forged in Russia, Ukraine or similar places from 10xx steel. Sometimes the "swords" are GREAT. Sometimes not so much, even when coming from the same maker. I see that as a business opportunity. I want to build them in the US, not by forging but by machining, then heat treating and instead of using 10xx steel using 5160. My problem is getting 5160 in the dimensions I need.
Jantz had some .187" thickness at 36" lengths, but now doesn't. Most of the bulk purveyors only go as thin as 0.204, which can of course be ground down, but why waste the time and money.

Can anyone point me towards such stock. Minimum width would be 1.5" as that is the maximum width of the "sword" body, but 2.5" would also work as I could get two waterjetted from the same blank with less waste.

Thank you for your help in advance

Hope it works out for you. I did MMA and HEMA for a while, but I always wanted to try Buhurt.

I found slightly thicker stock .204" vs 0.187" at continental steel. I can get 1.5" widths or 2.5" widths cut to my desired length, but I have to get a fair amount. They come in 22 ft lengths. Likely to get the 2.5" for less waste as I can cut 2 blanks from a slightly longer section. Sword blanks effective price is about 50% less than Jantz but I have to buy enough for a lot of swords to make that happen. A bit more aggressive sanding will get me to my desired thickness and won't cost the difference in materials.

Hope it works out for you. I did MMA and HEMA for a while, but I always wanted to try Buhurt.
you should. It is HUGE Fun. Our club has loaner armor for newbies (Nashville) most other clubs really don't, but individuals often will if you are similar sized.

Back