Sword cane law

Is there anywhere/any situation in USA that sword canes are definitely legal to carry, outside of the home?

I live in Missouri, but curious about the overall situation.

Thanks.

It varies quite a bit. Some places they are illegal even to sell or import. Some make them illegal to carry in public either by being named specifically, or by lumping them in with existing laws on daggers or fixed blades. It should be noted that some states, like Texas or Massachusetts, apply their edged weapon restrictions to any carry, open or concealed, while others only concealed is a crime. In places where only concealed is a crime, the sword cane usually is still considered concealed because the blade is concealed and the fact that the overall object is not readily recognizable as a weapon. But there have been a few cases were the defendant has successfully argued that the cane is carried in plain sight and therefore cannot be a "concealed weapon." That's pretty rare though.

But, there are a growing number of states where there are not restrictions on them. In Arizona for example, if you're over 21 and not a felon, all weapons are legal. Concealed or open, no matter the size, type or mechanism. There's even a video going around YouTube of an AZ guy pulling a full length katana from under his coat and defending another man who was being assaulted. The guy wasn't even questioned by the police. There's a few other states like that, that just have little to no edge-weapon laws, like Vermont, New Hampshire, and some others I forgot that changed their laws recently thanks to KnifeRight's work.

Now just as a side note that you may or may not fine of interest, I carry a cane regularly for self-defense. But it's not a sword cane, just a regular one that is made to be especially durable. A 3 foot piece of hardwood (and bit of metal and rubber) is a rather formidable weapon if you know how to use it, and often carries considerably less legal liability when used in self-defense.

Last edited:
Glistam, Your defense cane intrigues me. You mention it's composition, but how is it constructed?

Also, Great answer for the op. My apologies for my slightly ot question.

Last edited:
mitzip, no problem that it's OT, this is actually a nice hidden jewel in self-defense that gets a lot of discussion on other forums like THR.

Using a 3 foot stick as a weapon is older than dirt. It gives the user reach, hardness of impact, and mechanical acceleration or leverage. There are several martial arts that specifically have techniques dedicated to this type of stick. In Japanese arts, it's called a hanbō ("half staff") and has specific training regimens in aikido and some schools if ninjutsu. In the late 19th century there were several European schools of using walking sticks as weapons, and this actually ties it all together with the sword cane: In the renaissance up until the 18th century a gentleman almost always wore a sword, as both a personal accessory and a weapon of self-defense. Around that later time this started to fall out of fashion, and it was eventually replaced by the sword stick and then just the stick (likely due to concealed weapon laws). Victorian times are probably the most well known were men always had a stick, used to fend of feral dogs or street thugs.

Well I'm rambling a bit with that, so let me fast forward to right now. I have a variety of sticks I carry for self-defense. I make them but a few are bought. None are the hollow aluminum canes you get at a drug store. All are solid hardwood, though one is a special type of synthetic composite (Cold Steel City Stick). The most common mistake with choosing a cane is picking one with a big blunt weighted head, but a "unknown wood" shaft (usually a softwood like Pine or some unknown import from China). These are mediocre clubs at best, and will definitely break. My favorites have shafts of American Hornbeam (aka Ironwood or Musclewood), Chinese waxwood, hickory, jatoba, ash, oak, or purpleheart (if you don't mind the color). Some have metal heads, but others are all wood.

The cool thing about canes is you can take them anywhere due to how American law works. Because canes are medical devices, they cannot be restricted or taken away because of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. And because of the Medical Privacy Act, you cannot be forced to say what your disability is (or if you even have one). And besides the law, imagine the social implications of a cop, guard, or business owner taking someone's stick or not letting them in. He or she might was well paint "Jerkwad" on their forehead.

Glistam, you know what? When I read your post about AZ, etc., I felt overjoyed just to know that some states allow that. It really brightened my day. :)

Yes, a cane itself is good, but right now my physical condition is simply not good enough to use one effectively in HTH. Much better than nothing though! I can't walk without a cane so I always have one with me.

Glistam, sorry for the late reply. However, I wanted to thank you for your great response to my question. I appreciate the info!

Savate has a cane offshoot called, appropriately enough, La Canne. It is very effective in use even if it takes some practice. However there is a couple of guys out there teaching self defence cane use specifically geared towards limited mobility persons. It focuses on targeting specific areas in order to allow the person to escape quickly. This would be effective with our without a sword in the cane. :)

photo.php

Last edited:
Back