Sword-Cane Legality Canada

I would rather get arrested than use a normal cane this young
Nuh uh. There are lots of excellent alternatives.
First, a cane sword is not a good idea legally or tactically if you are after self defence.
Most of them are garbage in any event.
I strongly suggest you look at Crawford's Survival Staff, and there are many options in terms of blades that aren't for this thread.
Toxic Toys and others made some amazing indestructible stuff, and if you like thin and light, titanium is part whip part stick. Invredible stuff.
You can get other canes too, like Crawfords, with interchangabe parts for when you need to change up sections or use a staff or travel.

But, as the expression in the movie goes, there's nothing like a nice piece of hickory.
There are lots of first rate guys making canes to your order and design, especially in the USA ( and turkey )
They can be very, very cool.
In terms of self defence, there are whole parts of martial arts dedicated to cane and staff technique, especially Kuk Sool Won that has techniques designed for use with walking canes.

So many better alternatives to a sword cane.
The LEOs and customs are looking for that. Don't try.

Well if you want a good cane sword you can get a cold steel. I have one and it's pretty Sharp. I use it when I go for my walks in the morning. BAD DOG'S. The shaft is strong enough to use as a club. The sword will shave you. But of course the legalities is an issue. Maybe you should go with the staff but I'm definitely no lawyer

Last edited:
I’d recommend carrying a regular cane if that’s what you need. Sword canes are better as decorative collector’s items at home.

That aside, Canada’s laws on stuff like this defy logic.

Disguised knives like belt buckle, lipstick and comb knives are a no no. Sword canes? Perfectly fine!

Automatic knives opening with a button? Felony. Spring assist knives opening with a thumb stud or flipper? Good to go!

Pepper spray? Nope, can’t have people defending themselves from attackers! Bear mace for bear attacks? A-OK!

Hope Canadians elect some reps with common sense next time. Maybe you guys can get some of these laws repealed and that issue with the CBSA not allowing one hand open folding knives in will go away.

So, I was ordered by several Drs to use a cane, but being only 21 (and having been ignoring them already for 5y...) I decided that a sword-cane would be the only way I'd actually use one any time soon. I double checked the legalities and found that a sword-cane is perfectly legal in Canada so long as the blade is 60cm or longer, so I ordered one. The problem is that though the ad listed the blade as being about 65cm it just arrived today and is only 45cm, with the 'edge' part only 37cm of that. It isn't sharpened though, and doesn't appear to be able to be sharpened, so my question is whether or not it's still legal or if I'll have to send it back and get a different one with a longer blade. I can't find anything on this anywhere I look.
I feel for you having any level of disability isn't fun and always points you out to be a easier victim and if that the reason you want a cane sword then I urge you to reconsider because you use it for self defense your the one doing serious time and prison is no joke. I have to agree with the advice these give here cane swords are great wall hangers but they aren't good as canes and are considered a concealed weapon they aren't worth the hassle and just imagine going through a airport the cane will go through the xray. But there is options out there like a Irish Blackthorn walking stick. These walking sticks were originally made when the British first occupied Ireland and outlawed the shilelagh the traditional Irish fighting club. The Irish weren't ready to give up the shilelagh so they made them longer turning them into walking stick. There's also modern defense canes and a whole bunch of defense tactics that have been built around the defense cane. So of you're looking for something that can be use for defense I would go this route and stay far away from cane swords, but if you just want something cool but functional keep researching there's plenty out there that's not gonna crack in 2 while under weight or get you into sticky situation with the law.

So, I was ordered by several Drs to use a cane, but being only 21 (and having been ignoring them already for 5y...) I decided that a sword-cane would be the only way I'd actually use one any time soon. I double checked the legalities and found that a sword-cane is perfectly legal in Canada so long as the blade is 60cm or longer, so I ordered one. The problem is that though the ad listed the blade as being about 65cm it just arrived today and is only 45cm, with the 'edge' part only 37cm of that. It isn't sharpened though, and doesn't appear to be able to be sharpened, so my question is whether or not it's still legal or if I'll have to send it back and get a different one with a longer blade. I can't find anything on this anywhere I look.
Alright - I just did a 5 minute “deep dive” into Canada knife laws and it looks like you might be ok. I keep finding that any concealed blade UNDER 30cm is illegal. Where did you find the 60cm limit? In my opinion you should follow the letter of the law here but if you’re allowed and disposed to legally carry a sword cane, personally I’m all for it!
If the laws aren’t totally clear, you may be able to request a District Attorney (Prosecutor, etc??) to give you a written opinion on the issue. Otherwise it might be advisable to print out and carry the relevant code sections so you can educate the Mounty that has issues with your TOOL. :)

Law.Hut
Verified_Small.png
Verified lawyer
Hello:

Yes, this would be legal. This is not a prohibited weapon, which for blades is any knife that opens automatically by gravity, centrifugal force, or using a spring or other device in the handle, or a device that is less than 30 centimeters in length that is designed to conceal a knife blade.

The potential charges you could have related to a cane sword (or any other type of legal blade) would be possession of a weapon dangerous to the public peace or for the purpose of committing an offence, contrary to section 88 of the Criminal Code, or having a concealed weapon, contrary to section 90. For the section 88 section, just possessing the item would not be enough - the police would also need proof that you intended to use the item in some manner that could be dangerous. To give examples, if you are just walking down the street harmlessly with it there would not likely be an offence, while waving it about while screaming at someone - you will be charged.

As it is concealed in a cane, there would be a risk of the concealed weapon charge. This again would not be automatic. Probably no doubt that the blade is concealed inside a cane sheath, but it would also have to be proven that it was being carried with the intention to use it as a weapon. Unlike a handgun, which is presumed to be a weapon, most bladed instruments can have peaceful uses and the court is not allowed to just assume that this was being carried by you as a weapon. If they had evidence that you were on your way to a fight, or you told police that you carry the blade for protection, then this could be proof that it is being carried as a weapon, and if concealed then this would be illegal.

Buy a heavy-enough cane, and the blade is unnecessary...

...but still cool!

Law.Hut
Verified_Small.png
Verified lawyer
Hello:

Yes, this would be legal. This is not a prohibited weapon, which for blades is any knife that opens automatically by gravity, centrifugal force, or using a spring or other device in the handle, or a device that is less than 30 centimeters in length that is designed to conceal a knife blade.

The potential charges you could have related to a cane sword (or any other type of legal blade) would be possession of a weapon dangerous to the public peace or for the purpose of committing an offence, contrary to section 88 of the Criminal Code, or having a concealed weapon, contrary to section 90. For the section 88 section, just possessing the item would not be enough - the police would also need proof that you intended to use the item in some manner that could be dangerous. To give examples, if you are just walking down the street harmlessly with it there would not likely be an offence, while waving it about while screaming at someone - you will be charged.

As it is concealed in a cane, there would be a risk of the concealed weapon charge. This again would not be automatic. Probably no doubt that the blade is concealed inside a cane sheath, but it would also have to be proven that it was being carried with the intention to use it as a weapon. Unlike a handgun, which is presumed to be a weapon, most bladed instruments can have peaceful uses and the court is not allowed to just assume that this was being carried by you as a weapon. If they had evidence that you were on your way to a fight, or you told police that you carry the blade for protection, then this could be proof that it is being carried as a weapon, and if concealed then this would be illegal.
Just kind of dove right on in there, huh? Just fyi, this thread is almost 2 years old.

Also kind of weird how it seems like it was just a copy/paste, no introduction or anything... 🤔

Last edited:
Back