Sword Elbow

I got as far as "coring out" the bones before my elbow had a spontaneous case of the willies. I will stick to my neoprene sleeve, thank you very much, though if I had one of Mecha's blades through my sword-slinging years I probably wouldn't even need that now.

Several people who use my large machetes got ahold of one because of damage to their shoulders, arthritis etc, because the blades are easy to use and can be used differently (like with a flick of the the wrist), so if you find joy in that sort of machete work the fun isn't quickly ruined by pain. I love using a machete for yard and woods work, trying to refine cutting skill with each cut! :]

Last edited:
Mecha ,have you ever made a Ti kukri ? My big kukri is like the military at 24 oz a REAL chopper ! How would a Ti version work ?

Haven't made one. I'm sure it would work decently, but the ti alloy is like a stiff spring, which upon impact, cutting and chopping, in my opinion works better as an upswept blade. I like a mild upward curve the best.

The other problem is trying to forge a shape like that out of tough ti alloy bar stock, which is limited in how it may be shaped by a forging process, and only works realistically to alter a very basic shape. With the right plate alloy and some select limited forging work it could be done though, for sure. I bet it would be fun to use. :D

Ahem...not quite a Kukri, but quite a recurve and chops like a beast ;)

Turbine16.jpg

~Chip

Ahem...not quite a Kukri, but quite a recurve and chops like a beast ;)

View attachment 755416

~Chip

^^^ That's by far the closest one to anything resembling a ti kukri. That alloy is some rigid stuff, which makes sense, you don't want a jet turbine compressor blade to be flexing or twisting under pressure.

Another one that curved downward somewhat and was also a deceptively difficult forging challenge was the Titanilor:

When I ramped up my coaching (fencing) to 7 days/week, I developed tennis (sword?) elbow in both arms. Used the neoprene straps, but had more success with pressure massage, and exercises (especially for the antagonistic muscles).

I miss my days as a fencer/fencing coach ! With a tennis racket the proper way is to always have the ball hit the "sweet spot" [center of percussion] to reduce tennis elbow .
A sword may have 1, 2, or 3 COPs !!

Back