"Sword" Fighting?

Judging by the guy's condition , he's most in danger of immanent collapse ! If he had to go the whole 3 minute round , I believe the bushes would win .

Read some of your blog -pretty cool , keep up the good work .

Thank you! And (presuming you are KentuckyUSA1) I appreciate the comments as well.

Well thanks ! I try to learn me sumpin' new evwey day . I'll concede the dude IS strong but still looks and acts like a cardiovascular event waiting to happen . Makes cool videos anyway .

Naw, that would be my ticket. Heavy smoker for thirty years, A PFO discovered after the stroke in 2008. Run away tachycardia in 2013, the cardiologist in the followup saying the only thing that saved me was a strong heart (must have been what cardio exercise I did have in life). I have been in constant afib for four years. Cardizem and huge dose of metoprolol to control rate which keeps me from doing a lot of exertion (heart not getting to an aerobic speed).

So yeah, I have a hard time after a three minute round but I was out shoveling snow earlier this week.

It can be easy to judge someone on appearance and it is true that many with a lot of muscle mass can develop problems in life. My back went first, doing silly human trick stuff.

Cheers

GC

Naw, that would be my ticket. Heavy smoker for thirty years, A PFO discovered after the stroke in 2008. Run away tachycardia in 2013, the cardiologist in the followup saying the only thing that saved me was a strong heart (must have been what cardio exercise I did have in life). I have been in constant afib for four years. Cardizem and huge dose of metoprolol to control rate which keeps me from doing a lot of exertion (heart not getting to an aerobic speed).

So yeah, I have a hard time after a three minute round but I was out shoveling snow earlier this week.

It can be easy to judge someone on appearance and it is true that many with a lot of muscle mass can develop problems in life. My back went first, doing silly human trick stuff.

Cheers

GC

OPPSIE ! Sorry for my foot-in-mouth disease outbreak . Didn't mean to offend or judge anyone -I've got plenty of my own health issues and with very damn little excuse (ain't like I didn't know better). Yeah , I've got some stuff I was born with not the best -but mostly bad habits over many years now catching up to me in my senior years . I'd be the basest hypocrite to be casting any stones at anyone ! My own current self defense plans are based on more like 30 seconds than any 3 minutes ! That's probably optimistic . More likely I'd just keel over if anybody scary said BOO , although I was a badass legend in-my-own-mind once upon a time .

Cheers

GC
A couple of the fastest, hardest hitting and scariest silat/shortblade practitioners I have trained with were pretty heavy dudes...and the only way that would help you against them in a fight is if you straight up ran away.
When a heavy man does kilat to you it will practically give you whiplash.

A couple of the fastest, hardest hitting and scariest silat/shortblade practitioners I have trained with were pretty heavy dudes...and the only way that would help you against them in a fight is if you straight up ran away.
When a heavy man does kilat to you it will practically give you whiplash.

Just as you say! In my college Shorin-ryu (Okinawan hard style) club , I once attempted kumite(freestyle sparring) with a true giant of a man . His arms and legs alone were so massive as to nullify my best efforts . I learned that there was just no way to fight such giants empty handed . Best just to run !

My fighting weight was 173 lbs, but due to the luck of the draw, I kept getting guys 188-192 lbs. Even that relatively small difference is absolutely huge. Training makes you a better fighter, but so does being bigger and stronger. My brother is a really big man with zero fight training, and the only time he ever hit a guy in self-defense it was a one punch KO. With decades of training, I like to think I could do the same if I had to, but the training helps me AVOID such situations. It also tells me not to with chain whips, urumi, manriki, or rope darts.

I remember when i and my cousins did something similar but with belts. urumi kinda make me laugh, not to insult indian tradition but some weapons are unknown for good reasons. when i see this i look over at my cutlass and think "If i charge with my sword over my head, or wear a windbreaker, decades of training is negated on his end".

Is this really traditional or something they cooked up later?

By what time where humans able to make that kind of flexible steel?

kinda reminds me of the thought process that went into a lot of the later Gladiator weapons... capable of causing devastating looking but fairly superficial wounds purely for the sake of showmanship...... I could see something like that used against another guy wielding a pair of cesti....the resulting clash would be terrible to behold, but the odds of anyone getting DANGEROUSLY hurt would be slim.....

Entertain the masses, live to fight another day...

That or something like an over specialized dueling weapon.... winner draws first blood, low chance of serious bodily harm or death.

MMA of the ancients....

kinda reminds me of the thought process that went into a lot of the later Gladiator weapons... capable of causing devastating looking but fairly superficial wounds purely for the sake of showmanship...... I could see something like that used against another guy wielding a pair of cesti....the resulting clash would be terrible to behold, but the odds of anyone getting DANGEROUSLY hurt would be slim.....

That or something like an over specialized dueling weapon.... winner draws first blood, low chance of serious bodily harm or death.

MMA of the ancients....

These are very good points. Of course, back in the pre-penicillin days big open wounds could ultimately kill people pretty effectively. Not that infection is going to kill people on the battlefield...

MMA of the ancients....
Real cestii are pretty lethal in the right hands-I got to look at a repro pair made to the description in the Aeneid. Cuir boilli and lead plates...:/
"He then stepped up to his first prize, the calf,

Drew back his mighty right and loosed a blow

that dropped the bull calf dead with shattered skull;"
(From the Aeneid)

I'd always read that urumi were more of a dueling weapon, first blood sort of thing, but not sure where I read that.

Archeological evidence has some of the more experienced gladiators healed up from what would be catastrophic wounds, and still fighting, there was one I read of that had what would have likely been a complete bicep cleave, including a scar to the humerus from the sword, and that was one of his oldest wounds, it healed well enough for him to return to fighting, and given that he had few more, it must have not slowed him down much! Lots of them had well healed bone breaks, scars from sword slashes that had met bone, even major rib trauma. And a lot of them retired, the famous ones probably knew when to leave the ring, I can imagine though that there were a lot of fighters with an 0-1 record.

Back