Sword laws in Georgia

I posted this in knife laws but I thought I might get a better response here. Does anyone know any laws in Georgia that would make it illegal to have swords in the trunk of your car? Im asking because I practice both western and eastern sword arts and alot of the time put my swords in my trunk to carry on my way to my martial arts practice and just wanted to make sure if I get pulled over for what ever reason and told the officer they were back there that I wouldn't be breaking any laws. Im on probation already, if that affects anything. Thanks in advance.

I live in Ga. As far as I can tell, if it's in your trunk, or in plain view, then it's OK accept at a public gathering. I don't know about the probation thing. That would depend upon the terms of your Probation. I'd check with the Probation Officer on this one, just to be safe.

So if it's in your trunk it's not classified as being concealed? Because I think the legal length for a concealed blade in Ga is 4 inches, and the swords are well over 4 inches.

There is no 'official ' size limit. Technically, any concealed instrument such as a knife, screwdriver, or even rolls of coins could be considered illegal. In Ga. as long as it is in a sheath, or has a pocket clip showing on the outside of your clothing, it is not considered concealed. I carry a 6" Cold Steel Voyager clipped to my belt all the time, and never have any trouble. And, concealment only applies on your person. Things in your trunk are not considered concealed.

There are local laws that you need to be aware of in some locations. If you go to Atlanta, for instance, possession of ANY knife with a blade of 3" or more that locks open is illegal, whether on your person, or in your car. Also, there are different laws on Federal Property, such as Federal Courthouses, Military facillities, National Forests, etc.....

And they all have the same thing in common.......they are all unconstitutional!

Back