Sword Toss

Is it possible to throw a 36" katana or 24" wakaziba up to 10-15 feet without breaking it?
If so, how is it done?

I doubt you would break it (they are not made out of glass after all) although you might mess up the finish or ding it a bit. The real question is why would you want to be throwing around Japanese blades?

Oh hold the phone! You want to throw around stainless wonders? I'm not so sure about the safety or durability of those especially if you are going to throw them repeatedly. I have heard that sometimes they can be rather brittle...

Truth to be told, I'd be reluctant to even SWING a 50 dollar katana.
Many of them have TRULY appalling rat tail tangs that are subject to breakage at any given moment.

Seeing my blade go whizzing through the air and sticking in something/someone important is a sight I can happily miss!

I would not trust a stainless blade for throwing, especially if it's "sharp" and feels stiff. There's a few out there that aren't so bad. If the blade isn't sharp and feels like it'd bend like taffy, your greatest risk will be the tang's ability to hold up, as most are very flimsy design.

Having thrown a few swords (not authentics!), I have to stress the importance of safety. Throwing imparts surprisingly high stresses on the handle as well as the blade, so I suggest you don't take any chances.

If you have a lot of money to blow, Starfires can be fun to throw ;).

Shinryû.

If you do throw them then use a couple bales of hay for a target it will work fairly safely.

Knifesmith

Back