Sylvan Camp Knife

MK2 arrived from the frigid north of Canada country
ZwSnHtul.jpg

gi3GdY0l.jpg

That is a great looking blade!

Looking forward to seeing the pair together and your thoughts between the two

Twins - AEB-L version with olive drab green & black handle. Takes an interesting patina over time.
kQeS8Qyl.jpg

New 8670 version has somewhat longer handle, somewhat shorter handle height, but David 3-day* shaped the rear of the handle more than the AEB-L version. Good solid hold choked back and forward towards the guard.
YHVjC33l.jpg

VUQaIIal.jpg

Pardon the tea stained cutting board
LQsnzWQl.jpg

Haven't had the weather to do much outside. I'm pretty good at hibernating in the winter, so no real use with the version 2 of the Sylvan Camp. It feels really nice in hand, and with just a little more weight due to slightly thicker steel stock I think it will pack a fast, hard punch...at least for my activities.

*edit - 3D shaped

Last edited:
I used to be afraid to go too deep on the rear handle scallop because I worried there would not be as much material to hold onto, but now I think a bit deeper is better because it helps to lock in the grip.

I used to be afraid to go too deep on the rear handle scallop because I worried there would not be as much material to hold onto, but now I think a bit deeper is better because it helps to lock in the grip.
I have come to really like the handle on the older version and would not have had much to say to change it, but, I'd say on the v.2 that it's an effective refinement to the handle design.

Twins - AEB-L version with olive drab green & black handle. Takes an interesting patina over time.
kQeS8Qyl.jpg

New 8670 version has somewhat longer handle, somewhat shorter handle height, but David 3-day* shaped the rear of the handle more than the AEB-L version. Good solid hold choked back and forward towards the guard.
YHVjC33l.jpg

VUQaIIal.jpg

Pardon the tea stained cutting board
LQsnzWQl.jpg

Haven't had the weather to do much outside. I'm pretty good at hibernating in the winter, so no real use with the version 2 of the Sylvan Camp. It feels really nice in hand, and with just a little more weight due to slightly thicker steel stock I think it will pack a fast, hard punch...at least for my activities.

*edit - 3D shaped
I like the broader tip with the green pins, I bet that Baby can CHOP

That pattern checks all the boxes :thumbsup:
Yeah, for me, too.

Personally, it's not too small and not too big, so it can actually be packed around in a backpack (or slid between my back and the back panel and my backpack), unlike some larger choppers I have.

It's light enough (to me) to take on a day hike, but the less weight in the blade does make for a little less of an effective chopper then some heavier, more weight forward big blades.

However, the weight reduction is worth more to me, because it can still break down wood just fine, while the overall balance of the knife is quite nimble in use, making for a user friendly tool, for myself anyway.

I love a well used blade! Thanks for sharing!

That looks great! What are the specs on the XL? Wow.
Certainly - some specs:

Redtail XL:
OAL: 18 3/8"
Blade: 12 3/4"
Stock: 5/32" (aeb-l)
Blade height at the ricosso: 1.8"/46 mm
weight: 17.3 oz w/out sheath

For comparative reference, the regular Sylvan camp knife, green pins/grey-black handles specs are:
OAL: 15 1/8"
Blade: 9 1/4"
Stock: 5mm/.21" (8670)
Blade height at the ricosso: 1.6"/40mm
weight: 15.7 oz w/out sheath

Back