all matter

best to experiment with one variety of wood
until you learn what works best for that wood

generally, heat/steam treatment:
rigidity is increased
strength decreased with a mass decrease
hardness is sometimes increased

All factors turn bad if temp or time exposed exceeds certain limits

absence of oxygen allows somewhat higher temps.....
so 'fire' hardening makes sense
since this removes most oxygen from the wood surroundings

100'C/212'F (water boiling point at sea-level / STEAM)
is the usually considered the 'plasticization temperature' of wood
so I'm guessing the boiling of water/sap/resins from fire treated wood
actually keeps the wood from overheating.......
[state-change (boiling) 'absorbs' heat]

over 150'C/300'F is usually too much.
Acids form
compounds break down
polymers fall apart

Very few historical sources.
Modern wood industry is doing quite a bit of detailed research
toward factory uses.

~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<> THEY call me
'Dean' :)-FYI-FWIW-IIRC-JMO-M2C-YMMV-TIA-YW-GL-HH-HBD-IBSCUTWS-tWotBGUaDUaDUaD
<> Tips <> Baha'i Prayers Links --A--T--H--D

Canvas micarta is well-nigh indestructible in reasonable widths.

A kind forum member will soon be receiving my well-loved and much-used - and absolutely NONE the worse for wear- 74" canvas micarta bo.

Good luck on finding a supplier. Former training buddy Robin Marshall made at least a few sets, but the last I'd heard, the 'ole nomad was in HI...

John

Spectre,

Isn't the micarta too heavy?

Hibuke,

I used to buy from Profssional Plastics, but I remember now why I had to go and pay cash at the store. The minimum order is always over a hundered dollars, but if you go pay cash they usually part with what ever you need. I'm sure you can find a local supplier, they're pretty common.

- D

VHD: You have to work up to it. This is almost a 5-lb bo, which is quite heavy, but with practice, it can be moved as fast as a much lighter ash or hickory bo- and it strikes with authority! ;)

John

John,

That's cool. I've been working with a waxwood staff and I like it quite a bit. Do you think that if I started working with a micarta staff it would increase my handling and speed of a normal staff? I'm thinking along the lines of a workout with staff drills. Also, what thickness is yours?

- D

The indestructibo was almost a full 1 1/4", which is about the upper limit. I'm not certain if working with a heavier staff will increase your overall speed, or just your ability, if that makes any sense.

What it will definitely do is force you to use your body correctly. The lessons you learn from a heavier staff will enable you to strike much more powerfully, even when you've gone back to a lighter staff.

Hope that helps! :)

John

Kis?

No. I'm just preparing to go back to school, and hoping to hear word soon, so I can either get a place again, or visit family.

Good luck, D.

John

After further digging I found, www.smallparts.com and www.mcmaster.com

Both of these sites have a lot to offer the hobbyist and have big paper catalogs.

They both have so much stuff, raw stock for sticks, handle material, blade material. Everything. I've spent hours planning out ways to waste my money little bits at a time.

- D

Back