Szabo Perrin

I've asked about the Szabo/Perrin monster bali before, but has anyone had any experience with manipulating it or using it for an EDC?

I was wondering if you would have any problems moving with one clipped in your pants if you were to, say, run or jog, would the latchles handles flail apart and cut you?

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing how peaple would manipulate the 6.5 inch curved handles. If i ever find $400 laying on the ground, this would probably be on top of my to-get list. Anyone feel the same way?

(P.S.- see the bali at www.szaboinc.com under "edged weapons")

I have one that I picked up from Bladeart about a month ago, and it'll work as a bali in that the handles fold over the blade, and you can manipulate them open. Truth is the handles being curved makes it a difficult process. The rotation of the handle isn't as smooth as compared to the straight handles. Maybe I'm just not used to it, and still need to learn the proper way to do it. There is one complaint I have with it. Since the handles are so thin, it's quite easy to poorly grip the handles in such a way that you pinch the blade in the channel as you are opening it. It makes for a dangerous situation as you are now about to grip a sharp edge.

The clip works very well. Especailly if you are right handed. Clipping the bali to the front right pocket keeps the bali from opening up. This is because the non-clip handle is resting in the crease of the pocket, while the clip provides tension against the other handle sliding around and opening. And since it's tip down carry, the weight of the handles have gravity as an additional aid from keeping the handles from opening.They naturally fall down in the closed position.

Once open, the bali is a nasty fighter with the blade in a natural cutting arc and the differential sized handles forming a smooth and comfortable grip. Fit and finish is typical Perrin, in that it's a bit rough, but fully functional.

As as aside, the smaller brother to the monster bali is a much more utilitarian bali. I posted a pic in this thread previously:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1522650#post1522650

Yeah.., basically what Tony said. I have 'em both (the little guy and the big guy). If you flail away for a while you can develop some fun ways to open and close the big one.., but it does feel awkward to handle at first like any new design would when you are totally accustomed to different ergonomics.

As mentioned.., the handles are also slim.., but there is a new model coming shortly which is basically the same blade, but with much beefier handles (Szabo/Rief collaboration I believe).

The little one is just too cool :).., and a fun little knife to goof around with. The difference in size between the two is HUGE vs tinnnnie.., but both knives are fun.

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Hey, that reminds me, what's the story on the reif bali's? Last I heard he was thinking of starting the 3"ers in early Jan, but I haven't seen any of the 4" balis yet.. so I suspect things aren't quite ready?

News flash:

The Szabo/Reif bali project seems to be still born. There is no mentioning of that bali anywhere on Szabo;s website. A week ago they had the Reif Titanium version that Pete was talking about up there. Now all we have are the Perrin versions.

As for the Reif bali, I sent payment last week for it. Dale said it should be in my hands with a week or so. :D

Thanks for the replies. The 6-incher seems sorta small and the huge one seems too big to not draw attention for EDC. I wonder is they would ever make a 9-inch perrin on special order.....

Anyway, it'd be cool if there were vids of it being manipulated (Same with a balisword)

Back