T-10 Steel

me2

Anyone know what the composition of this steel is as used in the T-10 steel katanas on sword buyers guide? They seem to think its a tungsten based high speed steel, but I have doubts about that being it.

T-10 steel is usually in the 1090 to 1095 range. Hanwei uses a similar steel I believe.

T10, is a chinese version of high cabon steel , like 1095, and it is cheap.

use T10 to make katana is a simple way to do this , this kind of steel is easy to heattreat and forge.

t-10 is the chinese version of 1095. t-10 made through ERS process called T10A with S and P lower than 0.003%. t-10 or t-10a can be salt bathed to get a body based with martensite and bainite which does fits the requairment for a katana pretty well.

and yeah, its cheap, arround $1 per kg. 50 cents per lb.

That bit about the salt bath is interesting. Know if that's what's used in the SBG Custom Katana? I've got...a couple...the blades are great.

I was always told that it was water hardening...that it was more like W1. It's just a straight carbon steel though? How much Mn?

i just check the chinese tool steel data sheet. ESR T-10A = 0.95~1.04%C, Si&#8804;0.35%, Mn&#8804;0.40%, S & P both < 0.003. its basically a plain high carbon steel with low inclusions.

i don't know how SBG t-10 blade are made. but from the look of it, i could guess its traditional clay hardened.

personally i don't think t-10 was designed for something as long as a sword. however only the edge on the katana achieve the full hardness. the rest of the blade stays as tempered troostite and tempered sorbite. so i guess it could meet the requirement for a katana. tough i strongly suggest do not use it for heavy impact.

there are plenty of blade company get their stuff made in china. do it right, then cheap labers here can sometimes product expansive stuff lol. most company pays less than 50 us$ for fully traditonal hand polishing a 29 inch blade.

Sounds a lot like W1 or 1095. Not something I'd choose for a sword, but the video of it on Sword Buyers Guide shows its acceptable for modern sword use, that is to say it will cut tatami with no problem. FYI, troostite and sorbite are rarely used terms w/r to knife steels today. You're going to have everyone running to the google page to see what new stuff you're talking about.:D

lol those terms had confused me a lot too when i frist readed the chinese studys, then i getting used to them.

i know some old soviet union metalurgy papers use these term a lot, and they seems to have a sort of independed system of metalurgy research.

lol i think i had dragged this thread 94600 km away from the OP.

Yep. After reading about troostite in high school, then never hearing about it again until I got out of college, I had to dig it up again. I think I asked Mete here on BFC and got the info that it was an old (like 100 years) term not used anymore.

Back