T.M. Hunt Custom Knife Names

The Warrior

๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ธโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฆโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ชโ€Œ ๐Ÿ‡ปโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฐโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฎโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ณโ€Œ๐Ÿ‡ฌโ€Œ
Hey Todd, just wondering how you come up with the names for your blades?

This is a excellent question Dubz. One that I get asked a lot, and one that I love to answer. Might take a while to explain so I will edit in a few times, bear with me.

While Murph IS partailly correct that's not the whole story. Even if Murph was good at nothing else, I would keep him around for entertainment value. While I don't know if the drunken drivel that spews from his mouth is inspirational in a good or bad way, its still inspirational none the less.

I Love nature, I design my knives to be used as tools in the outdoors. Never really put any thought as to naming them, but when I started my website, and orders where starting to come in. Poeple would say "hey I like this picture" or" I like the one with this handle" it got difficult to figure out what they was talking about. One evening I was having a phone converstion with our very own Mistwalker. He suggested that I name the models that I wanted to produce and that it would get a lot easier. Boy was he right. So the only thing left was to come up with name. Since I stated earlier my love for nature. I wanted them to be something that reflected that. Also. I have a great respect for indian culture. So in some cases I just mixed the two.

Here are the current names and how I came up with them:

The M-18: about 3 months before I was to attend my first gathering at Ethan Beckers house. Murph came to me wanting a all purpose chopper. To make a long story short. What's now the M-18 is what I came up with. During the design and fabrication. I knicknamed it Choppasourus. Since I was calling it something Murph started brainstorming names. I think we even called it the P.O.D for a while. (Prophet of doom) after its intimidating look. Right before we went to Ethans, Murph said. What about the M-18. I said. "Uh....why" his response was during his time in the military, he used a antipersonel mine called the claymore M-18 and it layed waste to everything in front of it. I thought that was pretty cool and that's why it states in it description. "The Mighty M-18....lays waste to all things arboreal...."

The M-9: no big mystery there. Its basically a more compact version of the M-18 without the draw knife. Half of the M-18 really. 9 is half of 18. Not rocket science. Just seemed fitting.

The Yuma: (my favorite) The word Yuma is an indian word either Cherokee or Cree I don't remember which, meaning "Son of the Chief" now this signifies a lot to me. As fas as this line of knives go I almost consider them a family. While each knife is totally diferent, each one has a specific and important role in the family. Much like my own family. For example. If my family was these knives, id be the M-18 or the chief, Big, intimidating, a little rough around the edges but purpose drivin and makes no appologise for what it is....my wife. The M-9. Is all of the good things and none of the bad of the M-18 in a more attractive less threatinig package. The Yuma, my son. Good at most all things, dependable, handsome. The Magua, my daughter,very subtle, a little more frail but appsolutley beautifull in it simpliest form....then we also have a family cat and well....its just a stupid cat, but if we had a cool dog, it would be the Hornet, small, can be ferocious, but loyal and a good companion to have around......so to answer your question. To me the name Yuma signifies that knifes spot in the family.

The Magua: I never really named the Magua. It was just a name that kinda stuck to it like shit to a blanket lol. I never really cared for that movie The last of the Mohicans. But I loved the chatacter of Magua. He was the Indian who had no loyalties. He was kicked out of his own tribe for drunkeness and basically sold his tracking and fighting skills to the highest bidder. As far as the knife, the joke goes that Murph and I was in the shop and suprise suprise we may of been drinking a few beers. I guess Murph got a little loose and I may have told him if he didn't pipe down I was gonna Magua his ass, meaning throw his ass out of my shop, and like I said the name just stuck. That's the rumor behind that one anyway. I cannot confirm or deny haha.

The Hornet: I couldn't think of a name for the Hornet to save my life. I wanted to name it the Bear Claw but Diesel D assured me that naming it after a doughnut was carreer suicide. So the name finally came one day as myself, Murph, and Diesel D where out in the woods doing some chopping research on the M-18s. Seems that as I was walking through the wood I stepped on a Hornets nest. I took 7 stings to the legs before I could get away from those little winged bastards. As I sat on the ground crying like a little girl in pain. (As the story was told...totally inaccurate) between Deisels belting laughter, he says. "Hey we got a name for your little knife....how about the hornet" and so it was.....

Last edited:
Nice thread, W.

I have always been curious about this too.

Thanks for the reply, Todd.

Theres also a few more names and knives that you guys dont nessessarily know about....Yet....... I have a skeletonized version of the Magua. The two prototypes will soon be going to our very own Derek H to play with. im sure he will post pics, dont know if Im going to make a lot of em, just kinda a feeler. Its named the Skelemag for ovious reasons. I also have a 5 3/8in. blade version of the Yuma. but its just called the Yuma 2. Tradewater will be showing you one of those fairly soon. I also have another knife no one has seen. Diesel D is begging me to throw it out here on the forums but the timing isnt right. Ive shelved it for now. Its called the Yona. Indian word for "big Bear" if you could imagine a love child resulting from mixing the M-9, traditional bowie knife, and a BK&T BK9 this is what youd get. but like I said. Nobody knows about it....;)

Awesome stuff Todd, thanks for posting it up. I too, am into the whole Indian thing. Last of the Mohicans is one of my favorite movies. I always liked Magua's name myself. I read the book, "Tecumseh, Panther in the Sky". He was a Shawnee. The word "makwa" was in the book, Shawnee for bear. Always liked the sound of it, and even have it tattooed on me.

You should name one Moose.

Just sayin'....

:D

Moose

Back