T.M. Hunt Knive Used in Cooking

Fans of T.M. Hunt knives may recognize the little beast in this video.

This is one method that I use to make Cuban Roast Pork. I've never been to Cuba and cannot go because I am a US citizen. Maybe some day I'll get to go and eat the real thing. Until then, the stuff they have in Miami will have to do.

[video=youtube;9r87tXs8CDs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r87tXs8CDs[/video]

How do your vids always end up making me jealous and hungry? Good post Doc!

Hey “ AIG “.. I’ll have to say .. “ You did a great JOB “..:thumbup:

If I may make a few informational suggestions:

Bitter Orange Marinades:
http://www.goya.com/english/product_subcategory/Condiments/Marinades-Cooking-Ingredients

Flavor Injector:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13876495

For anyone trying to give this a go ..?
You really need to get some seasonings, under the skin , to enhance the flavor of the meat.

Here’s a photo of my first roasted piggy (11.5 lbs ) .. “ LECHON “ with an “ Adobo Red Sauce “ marinade.
IMG_1066_edited.jpg

BBQ'd, over Charcoals, using a large " Big Green Egg ".
IMG_1068_edited.jpg

IMHO: The meat tasted better, after resting overnight in the fridge.

PERRO.

Excuse my French, but Jesus Christ. That is hardcore! How long did it take to do a suckling pig in a Big Green Egg?

11.5 lbs Roasted Pigggy / 3 hrs @ 350 degrees

Well, to be perfectly honest, I would do a few things a bit differently on the next “ PIGGY “, considering the cost $$$ : $ 90.00, for a suckling piggy in my area.

1. Marinade the meat under the skin with: " Goya ; Mojo Criollo Marinade, (or Bitter Orange ) " using a Meat Injector type of Device, down both side of the Spine, Neck & Hams. I had a large 24 oz bottle in the Fridge , but I didn't want to interfere or clash with the " RED ADOBO SAUCE ", already on the Piggy.

2. Aluminum Foil all four Feet, along with the Ears.

3. Cook at a lower Temp (200-250 ) until internal Temps reach 170 degrees ( breaks down the fat ): I used a Digital Steel Cabled Thermometer @ 165.

4. Allow for a much longer Cooking Time: 6-8 hours @ lower temps.

My wife won't allow me to cook another.. It reminded her too much of a small canine :eek:

I've cooked several " Turkeys " in the same manner, with the meat almost falling off the bone :)

Thanksgiving Turkey
IMG_4309.jpg

16 lbs Turkey, dry rubbed seasonings & cooked for 3 hrs.

IMG_4315.jpg

Rested & plated on the Table for serving

My wife won't allow me to cook another..[I said:
It reminded her too much of a small canine[/I] :eek:

Lol...women are funny like that, aren't they buddy? They love meat, but prefer not to see it looking too cute while trying to eat it.

She (new wife) also won't bait her own hooks .. Worms, Anchovies. Or, clean the fish she catches.
But, she can cook ..and has a steady " JOB "..!

Although,.. I have to admitt.. She somtimes catches me checking out other women, walking their dogs.
She'll get a bit miffed and make a comment " You don't have to stare so long "..

I'll roll with it and reply " HMMM ",.. I wasn't looking at her. I was just trying to visualiize, .. how I might " BBQ " that Dog ... Dry rub or a marinade...?
Hey, I can't help it. I'm a " Doomsday Prepper " :eek:

Now that I have some free time, I'm going thru all of my " Earthquake Prepardness Gear ", sharpening knives, etc. :cool:

She's starting to believe me :rolleyes:

IMG_0153_edited-1.jpg

My modern / updated version of a " Chuck Wagon " !

logo_phpBB1.jpg

PERRO

Last edited:
Thanks for another great video! I'm now officially a subscriber to your youtube channel!

http://youtube.com/user/averageiowaguy

I think travel restrictions to Cuba for Americans have eased up over the years. The last time I was there there were quite a few Americans staying in the same hotel I was at in Havana. If you can find a conference there to attend related to your profession (which should be easy for you) you can get a permit to enter Cuba from the US government. The problem with Americans going there is an American government one, not a Cuban one, they welcome everyone there. There's lots of cheap flights to Cuba from Canada too, it's one of our more popular winter holiday destinations.

The way I understand the laws, you can go to Cuba, however if customs sees a passport stamp on your passport they won't allow you to re-enter the US. That may have changed.

The way I understand the laws, you can go to Cuba, however if customs sees a passport stamp on your passport they won't allow you to re-enter the US. That may have changed.

The couple of times I was there, they didn't stamp my passport, just the visa/tourist card, this is given to you and stamped when you arrive, and stamped again when you depart. I did have a Cuban work visa as well, and while it was fastened into my passport, they never stamped any of the passport pages when I was coming/going. While using that passport I traveled many times in and out of the USA and no Immigration official ever asked me about it, one of the benefits of being Canadian I guess!

I have to say, Cuba interests me to the extreme. There are unpopulated areas that could be traversed as part of an expedition. A lot could be learned. Hmmmm.....

Back