Tactical Lockbacks..... Are knifemakers "missing the boat"

Walking Man

BANNED
You know, I like lockbacks. What I really like about them is that I don't have to worry about the lock moving too far over, and I don't think blade play is usually a problem.
Anyhow, when Extrema Ration introduced their tactical lockbacks, it was a great hit, and I can't but feeling there's more of a market for this type of knife....
that is a tactical knife with a tactical tough overbuilt lock...
the lockback.
Your thoughts?

Custom lockbacks are harder to build than custom linerlocks, in general.
In addition, there are no "pre-fab" parts for lockbacks like locking bars, springs, etc.

Than just about any other kind of locking mechanism, all things being equal.

That is why liner locks caught on like they did with folder makers, imho. Building a liner lock is simpler, again, all things being equal.

The big whopper is smoothness. Building a smooth working backlock, which is what most of us would expect is dang hard. The lockbar on any kind of backlock rides on the tang, so both parts must be polished to an unusually high degree.

There are no parts on a liner lock that generally require that degree of polish because most of the bearing surfaces ride on teflon or phosphor bronze bushings.

That's my take on it, fwiw.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

I had the same thought when I first got my ER Nemesis. :)

I agree, the ER folders, in no small part due to their massive, overbuilt lockback design, are about as bulletproof as a folder gets, my only gripe on the ER knives is while I know they do it to increse blade strength, the edge gets so thick towards the tip, turns the knife into a letter opener in some ways. But yeah, I'd love to see a Strider, or even Sebenza lockback, but, I wouldn't hold our breath. :) Spyderco are the only ones making overbuilt, tac/utility lockbacks, but not nearly as overbuilt as the ER knives, which is what I think you're looking for.

I love lockbacks, too. I've never handled or seen the ER version. Sounds interesting.

I use a large Spyderco Calypso all day long. I open and close it one handed all the time. (You rub the backspine of the blade against your thigh as you depress the lock.)

STeven, you are right about the smoothness thing. Also difficult is maintaining that *perfect* radius so there is even pressure all the way around. Still the nice secure feeling of that blade drawn into the well with consistent pressure beats the short ball and socket of a Liner lock. It's all a matter of taste.

Coop

I think I'm on the same wavelength as you. I also personally believe that the lockback is actually stronger than any sort of frame lock or liner lock. In reality, most of us never use a folder SO HARD that a liner lock reaches lock failure point. This is one factor that possibly reduces the lockback's strength to "academic superiority only" status.

But what Coop says is also true, building a smooth, easy opening BIG lockback is more difficult that a liner lock (for most but certainly not all, makers). Thats also a major influence.

An additional issue - lockbacks have more metal , in the lock, spring bar etc. which makes them inherently heavier than liner/ frame locks. The spines are always "filled-in" and there are fewer options when it comes to a skeletonised frame structure. This may also be an issue of design and styling that makes liner locks more popular.

Just a few extra thoughts. Jason.

I have not made a true lockback folder. The closest i have come is the little bolster release auto that I make. It locks closed and open so double the work as a typical lockback. I actually find it easier to get a tight open locking position on the auto than when i make the liner locks. Probably because i am working with hand files fitting the lock as opposed to fuzzing the part of the blade (on the grinder) that hits the stop pin.

I think it might be part of a "mental" thing for folder makers. The lockback seems to be harder and I think it turns makers off to trying to make them. On a mass producton scale, I think it would be more expensive to manufacture a lock back design and if the typical consumer can't break a liner lock, then why invest the $$$$ into producing a lockback. The only reason being to build a brick s**thouse of a folder. :D

On the autos I make I don't keep a constant radius on the back of the knife. I leave her a bit fat (or flared) right befoe the notch, so if you don't want to fully deploy the knife in auto mode, you can release the blade and do a "manual" open on it. You can actually let it go at 90° and she will stop in that position. But it still allows the blade to fully open under its own power in 0.042 of a second. Makes a nice little tricky folder. On my prototypes, I played around with putting a flat spot on the back of the radius so there was no tension on the blade from the lock. Those ones had quite a bit of kick to them, but were fun. :)

I've been wanting a large tactical lockback for years and finally found a (fairly well known) maker that will build one to order for me for $475, his name escapes me at the moment and I'm not at home to check.

I plan to order one as soon as another custom I have on order gets finished.

BTW, I say screw smoothness, IMO anyone savvy enough to want a lockback over a linerlock is aware of the rougher opening inherent with a lockback.

While I agree that liner locks are easier I also feel this is a supply and demand issue, we as consumers are not demanding lockbacks so makers are comfortable making liner locks galore. They're pushing the envelope in other places but few are doing it in the locking mechanism.

In the immortal words of Public Enemy we have to "Fight the powers that be!"

:) :D :)

During the late 80's I was buying some of Warren Osbornes knives. This was when he was stuill making a simple working mans folder.......of course it was still put together with the greatest precision I think I've ever seen.....and these were all lockbacks. My favorite was a model 1 with some stag handles, and double bolsters. The action on this knife was so sweet and smooth that I can still remember how it feels! Now those were some great tactical lockbacks before we knew about tacticals!!

Back