Tagua Nuts

Tagua Nuts

I was wondering if any one has any advice for using these. Are they good for anything ? It seems they make for nice carving and I figure they should work for spacers or other applications to embelish a knife.

any thoughts ?

Didn't anybody warn you about those 'blade groupies' that hang out at knife shows? I don't know what the cure is for Tagua Nuts but I'm sure it will eventually go away.

:)

I bought several of those nuts shortly after I came down with the knife bug. As far as I know there in the same bag they came in taking up the same space from when I brought them home. Thanks for reminding me that I still have them. I'm still not sure what to do with them.

I bought several of those nuts shortly after I came down with the knife bug. As far as I know there in the same bag they came in taking up the same space from when I brought them home. Thanks for reminding me that I still have them. I'm still not sure what to do with them.

sure whatever it is will be pretty cool, i think i might get me some nuts to:foot:

how about a whole knife handle made out of them and amber beads?

I have used them as spacers on two knives I like them but they have a void in the middle that may go all the way to the edge of the handle, so you may have to pick through them cut them in half and see what you got. They are super hard (for a nut) and they finish really well give them a try
IMG_2074.jpg

DSCN0398.jpg

hmmm, i really like how they finished out on those knives, they seem to take a real high polish.

question....are they there natural color, or are they dyed ? they have a very creamy irovy tone to them.

:barf::foot:creamy nuts:barf::foot::barf::barf::foot::barf:

That should be there natural color , they are suppose to look like ivory .
Kids :rolleyes: :D

I don't know those nuts, but I used the nut from the Awarra fruit on my first knife:
zebra.JPG

In Surinam it's also used to make jewelry. I made this pendant:

Hanger.JPG

It's made from half a nut, some sections of bassguitar string (low B) impregnated with brass and flame-blued and the end of a string for the link to the necklace...

Cheers Rody

I have a few slices that I practice scrimshaw on and it's a really neat material. I believe it is also known as vegetable ivory. The texture and appearance is much like real ivory. The problems I can see in using it for knives is that you would need a very large specimen to get even a decent slice. The spacer's that hevy ev showed above are probably about as good as it's going to get. Maybe there are some very large pieces out there but what I have seen are fairly small and have limited uses.

They do make for a good practice material for carving or scrim though.

SDS

sounds like it may be more trouble than it's worth, maybe they'd make better sling shot ammo than anything else:p

It is a really neat material. I just haven't found a practical use for it. The spacers above are about the neatest thing I've seen them used for. I just haven't had any of the Taguas that were large enough diameter to do that with.

For me they are another one of those cool little gems that I tuck away in my trinket drawer until I can figure out a good use for them.

SDS

Have you guys tried a "stacked" handle with them? Like just have them all together, without any other material, so it's just the ivory color? If there aren't any gaps, it might look really cool.

Might look cool with nuts in a stacked handle with thin brass or copper spacers in between, with a matching guard and pommel.

Where do these puppies grow? I guess it's not a domestic, but rather is an exotic?

Tagua grows in the tropical rainforests of some South American countries, mainly Ecuador, Colombia and Venezuela, Ecuador being the country that fulfills most of the world’s demand

I know that some people have used them for inlay, fretboard markers, etc... never seen any on a knife until now, it looks pretty nice. How about make and inlay an escutcheon with one, then scrim your name?

Back