TAK-1 vs RC-4

Anyone out there have both the TAK-1 and the RC-4 that would be able to post some side-by-side comparison pics, and maybe some thoughts on the two?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide?

I don't think the RC-4 has hit the streets. I know I am still waiting on my shipment.

I don't think the RC-4 has hit the streets. I know I am still waiting on my shipment.

Crap! your right my bad...just looked at the RAT Cutlery site and it says "All RC-4 orders will start shipping March 10th. We apologize for the delays but the sheath changes are worth the wait." Wait! that's today!

If Jeff or Mike have the time to throw up some side-by-side pics that would be great. Jeff I know you said in a previous post addressing this issue that you don't really find the two comparable "I don't put the TAK and the RC-4 in the same league, personally." So, let me ask this instead. As a wilderness/camp/survival knife what do you think the strengths and weaknesses are of the two knives? Also, which knife would you grab for what and why?

In the mean time I put this together to start to my deliberation process and thought I'd share.

I can't guarantee that they are completely proportionate but by my calculations it should be close.

You're going to find that the TAK is a heavier knife than the RC-4. TAK = 10.4 ounces, RC-4= 7.4 ounces. So, the RC-4 is 3/4 the weight of the TAK. Sheathing and heat treat is way different also. I like the RC-4 a lot better than the TAK but if you like a large grip then you're going to like the TAK better. If fit, finish and no questions asked warranty has any bearing, then you're going to like the RC better. If you're looking for a hard-use beater knife then you will probably like the TAK better. If price is an issue, you will like the TAK better. They are truly two separate beasts and hard to compare. ;)

TAK is heavier than any knife in its size range.

RC-4 will set the tone for 4"-4.5" blade knives you wait and see.

The RC-4 is also blade heavy since the RC-3 handle is used on this knife. Some folks may not like the small handle on this 4 inch knife but the majority of people who picked it up (and the RC-3) at SHOT, leaned towards the RC-4 for some reason. May be the 3/16" thickness. The best way I can describe the RC-4 is it's a "heavy" blade that feels likes a small blade. Like bear said, I think this knife will set the mark for 4" knives. We'll see...they start shipping today

You're going to find that the TAK is a heavier knife than the RC-4. TAK = 10.4 ounces, RC-4= 7.4 ounces. So, the RC-4 is 3/4 the weight of the TAK. Sheathing and heat treat is way different also. I like the RC-4 a lot better than the TAK but if you like a large grip then you're going to like the TAK better. If fit, finish and no questions asked warranty has any bearing, then you're going to like the RC better. If you're looking for a hard-use beater knife then you will probably like the TAK better. If price is an issue, you will like the TAK better. They are truly two separate beasts and hard to compare. ;)

Weight is not really an issue to me as I'm not an .oz counter. I do have larger hands so grip size is a concern. I find my hands get fatigued much easier/quicker with smaller handles. It would be a hard-use knife; as far as a beater goes the only type of knives i consider and treat as disposable beaters are utility knives/razors. While I'm not made of money, I will pay for quality (within reason) so I'm not too worried about that part.

I wish there was somewhere around here that carried them so that I could see/hold them in person.

Last Confederate you got your patches already I'm jealous. Mine haven't made it yet, hopefully in the next day or so.

RC-4 thickness is 3/16"

Bare Rib: RC-4 handle may be too small for you. If someone has a picture on the forums of an RC-3 in hand then it will be the same handle.

I don't have one right now. Will try to get one soon though. Only difference is 1/16"

I am also waiting for the RC-4, but that is more of an addiction thing I have going for any knife these guys come up with.
I have a TAK that I use all the time as a beater, chopper and slicer. In 1095 with an EP Apex, I have yet to have any problem with sharpening it to a razor.
That being said, the TAK is a real beast. The pictures don't due it justice in that regard. My wrist gets pretty tired after a workout with the TAK, so I will be looking forward to using the RC-4. I like "user" knives, not really into the fancy stuff if the knife just does not work. That is why I like these RAT/RC knives so much.
Keep up the good work!

From the pictures, it looks like the Tak-1, RAT-5 and RAT-7 all have the same handle (with the different tang extension ont he RAT-5). Would that be accurate?
I know I have big hands and the RAT-7 handle is a perfect fit. Don't know if that helps at all.

From the pictures, it looks like the Tak-1, RAT-5 and RAT-7 all have the same handle (with the different tang extension ont he RAT-5). Would that be accurate?
I know I have big hands and the RAT-7 handle is a perfect fit. Don't know if that helps at all.

Handles on the RAT5/7 are a little different than the TAK. I'll dig up one of my pictures of two of them to show the difference.

DSCN0494.jpg

The main difference I guess in the actual "grip" portion of the handle is that the TAK handle is noticeably thinner where your index finger wraps around the grip - near the "hilt" portion of the grip. The swell on the TAK grip is a little further back than on the 5/7. I find that they feel noticeably different, although the dimensions are similar for the most part. They're both equally comfortable in my opinion. The 5/7 grips are actually interchangeable.

Back