Take me out with the crowd.
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jack,
I don't care if I never get back,
Let me root, root, root for the home team,
If they don't win it's a shame.
For it's one, two, three strikes, you're out,
At the old ball game."
Hearing set in flap over 700th homer

A court hearing is scheduled for Wednesday in the dispute over who is the rightful owner of the ball Barry Bonds hit for his 700th home run.
The hearing will be in San Francisco County Superior Court, according to Daniel Horowitz, the attorney representing Steve Williams. Williams is the Giants fan who ended up with the prized ball during a melee in the left-center field bleachers at SBC Park on Sept. 17.

Williams was notified that he was being sued by attorneys for Timothy Murphy, who said he pinned the ball underneath his leg during a scrum for it after the baseball struck Murphy's chin. Murphy claims he is the ball's owner because Williams stole it from him while he was in a pile of fans.

Doug Allen, president of MastroNet, a Chicago-based auction company, estimated the ball's worth at "over six figures."

It is not the first time fans headed to court over the fate of a Bonds' home run ball. In October 2001, Bonds' record-setting 73rd homer of the season sparked litigation that ended when a judge ordered two men to split the $450,000 fetched at auction.
Boooooo !!!

Bonds' record-setting 73rd homer of the season sparked litigation that ended when a judge ordered two men to split the $450,000 fetched at auction.

Yeah, and I heard they both ended up in the red after paying their lawyers.

This really was a sad day for baseball:

On Sept. 29 ...
1957: The New York Giants played their last game at the Polo Grounds

Souvenir-Hunting Followers of Baseball Club Rip Up Polo Grounds After Team is Defeated There in Its Final Game

Thousands of fans responded to the final melancholy out by chasing their California-bound idols to the clubhouse--and carrying away everything on the field that could be moved. The mass pursuit was touched off by affection, excitement, nostalgia, curiosity and annoyance at the fact the team next year will represent San Francisco.

No psychologist, to say nothing of an ordinary lover of baseball, will ever be sure to what extent any one of these motives outweighed the others.

But in their souvenir hunting, the enthusiasts at the final appearance of a once-great team in the shadow of Coogan's Bluff certainly did not stop at what was movable.

Immediately after the Giants' last out at 4:35 P.M., the surging crowd caused the players to flee across center field as if they were running for their lives. Within a half hour the crowd had achieved, among other things, the following:

Ripped up the regular and warm-up home plates, the wooden base beneath the main plate, the pitcher's rubber, two of the bases and the foam rubber sheathing protecting outfielders who crashed into the center field fences.

Those who rooted for the Giants to the bitter end also broke down and smashed the bullpen sun- shelter, gouged out patches of outfield grass, carried off telephones, signs and even telephone books- -and pried the bronze plaque off the Eddie Grant memorial monument in deepest center field. The plaque was subsequently retrieved from three youths by the police.
The good old days :(

Back