1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Taking apart knives - part 2

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Sal Glesser, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Taking apart knives – part 2

I’d like to thank all of you for the great information on the issue mentioned. My primary purpose for the thread was more to raise awareness that it is a problem and hope that just the greater awareness would help contribute to reducing the problem. Many people didn’t ever realize it was a problem.

I stayed out of the discussion because I really needed your input without my opinions involved. With the many posts, I have a lot to study.

FYI, we don’t plan to pin our knives or make it impossible for you to take them apart. We will continually try to make them stronger so if you do take them apart, it will be more difficult to damage them. (Eg: the case of the flippers & the washers). Trying to add something to determine “IF” they were taken apart is probably not something we can expect dealers to pay much attention to, especially dealers like Amazon. Also it becomes a “policing action” which has its own issues.

I would hope that you will discourage others from returning tampered knives and if you were doing it, you now know it is a problem. Fruitful discussion. (I will be discussing the shipping of internal parts on another thread).

sal

`br4dz-, Mikke, tyyreaun and 9 others like this.
  2. Chris "Anagarika"

Chris "Anagarika"

Mar 7, 2001
    Sal,

If Spyderco demands the dealers to inspect returns just by the tamper proof seal, Spyderco can enforce it by refusing the dealers’ returns if they don’t comply. It’ll be their loss wouldn’t it be, as educated customers will not accept such products as NEW and they have to stuck with the inventory. Do I get this correctly?

It’s possible the dealers would then not carrying Spyderco if they consider the profit doesn’t justify. However, dealer can also choose to refuse a return and pass this to the ‘tinker & return’ customers. Would this be exactly where the problem originated and now it gets hit right there?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  3. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    I'm sorry to say this, but I don't think there's a decent solution here. It comes down to whether or not people will take personal responsibility for their actions (like disassembling and effing up a knife) or return it and dishonestly put the burden on someone else to deal with or pay for their decisions and acts.

We live in an era where the first three things out of people's mouths are I didn't do it, if I did it isn't my fault, and if it's my fault I shouldn't have to pay for the consequences.

stevekolt, dkolds, FBonPB and 8 others like this.
  4. Ankerson

Ankerson Knife and Computer Geek Platinum Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002

You forgot:

I am entitled to....

tjweeks, stevekolt, dkolds and 4 others like this.
  5. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    Well, that makes me feel even better! ;)

6. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    [​IMG]

jbmonkey likes this.