Taking apart my Benchmade 975

I just got my Benchmade 975 out after a while of non use and would like to give it a good cleaning. I read through Benchmades warranty and it says basically to not dissasemble there knives. Is this just to protect them from liability, or is there an actual good reason to not dissasemble it. I can't imaging it would be to complicated. I would like to take it apart, clean it, and put it right back together again.

Also, I know Benchmade sells there little tool kit, but are these screws unique to Benchmade or are they just small Torx heads? Something I could get at a good hardware store maybe?

Thanks.

There is a pretty good possibility that the screws which hold the knife together are threaded into the G-10 scales on the opposite side. If you remove those screws there is a pretty good chance that you will strip the female threads and will not be able to put the knife back together again.

And all will be lost...

Yes, they're just regular Torx screw bits. But I believe they come in the smaller sizes that are difficult to find (even at Home Depot, etc.) I've heard that the Benchmade toolkit uses crappy metal for their bits, so I've looked everywhere for T6 bits... but still haven't found any, even in those big boxes of assorted bits.

So if you don't mind the crappy metal and the high cost, I guess the Benchmade toolkit is alright. At least it's convenient to buy.

Taking apart the 975 is easy, but you can't send it in to Benchmade if you need "warranty" work done. Not a big deal to some. I just got some nice torx wrenches at Sears for $1.99 each. There the little jewelers ones with the green tops. Hope it helps.
-Scott

They arn't threaded into the G10 on the other side, there are holes in the G10 there and its just flat metal in there, looks like a pressed in fitting that they screw into...or something along those lines anyway. I may have to see if I can find some of those at Sears, thanks for the tip.

The bits on the Benchmade Blue Box do twist rather easily--I got some torx drivers at Sears as well. I had no problems taking the 975 apart, but after I put it back together I had a little trouble with the liner lock. It would move into place just fine, but unlocking it became a tortuous experience. It was as if it really never fit right after that. I sent it back to Benchmade for sharpening and a "tune-up" and it came back better than new. They seem to have a bit of a "don't ask, don't tell" kinda thing--that is, if you don't tell them you disassembled it, then they won't tell you to get lost.

Back