Taking stock

Ash

After a flurry of orders I decided to take stock of my khuk collection and make a few brief observations. Pretty much in order of purchase, with handle material in brackets:

14in Villager (wood). Still a favourite - one of the first batch Bill got in. Ugly, solid, reliable.

15in AK (horn). The old war-horse. Been carrying this on my pack for a few years now - its done everything from butchering kangaroos to splitting fire wood to building a bush stretcher and seen every kind of weather & country, from the snow & rain of the High-country to the heat of the Outback/Arid zone. Defiantly has 'character' now.

18in AK (horn) - Comes out when nothing else will do the job. Has a tight scabbard which I have not been able to fix. Only thing that keeps it from getting more use.

16in WW2 (wood). Went to my father as a birthday gift. He's a keen militaria collector & bushman. Now rides on his belt when out in the scrub.

18in Kobra (horn) Lives next my bed. Last line of defence along with a Fairburn/Sykes dagger

15in Sirupati (wood) Just wanted one :)

15in BAS (horn) - see Sirupati - may get an outing in the bush when I decide to retire the 15in AK

Malla (wood,)I've always thought the Malla was one of the nicest looking khuks - this effort by Bura has done nothing to change that opinion. The star of my collection - Can't bring my self to use it, hence my next purchase.

Malla (wood) A Malla to use, made by KNN. Thinner & lighter than Bura's effort. Should work a treat on the light Eucalypt that the AK's tend to batter aside rather than cut.

AK Bowie (Horn) - Arrived here last Friday. Still getting a feel for it. Looks like it will handle anything I can throw at it and then ask contemptuously "Is that the best you can do?"

YCS (Wood) Delivered yesterday!!. Amazing combination of design & manufacture - how did they make such an imposing blade so light & quick.

16.5in Chiruwa AK (Horn) Arrived today!!!! - My first 'Chiruwa' version. Keen to see how it feels in the hand when working.

Makes an even dozen now, including 3 arriving in 5 days, HIKV is sated for now :)

Who made your Chiruwa? I just got one last week (my first khuk), also with a horn handle. It has Sanu's mark. I immediately decided it needed a companion and ordered an 18" GS. In my case I suspect the HIKV will outlast the savings. Such is life!;)

The Chiruwa was made by Kesar. Neatly fills the gap between the 15in & 18in AK's.

As for the HIKV - at least we are among friends here :) They understand.

Ash -
Your post raised my HIKV, so I went down the hall to take inventory. The wife followed shortly after to see where I had gone...."Good Heavens...when did you get so many? Why? What will you do...." yaddada yaddada.....Thanks, Ash...Thanks a whole bunch :rolleyes:

wal.gif

'nuthin like the little misses to bring out a good song and dance tune ...huh Walosi :D

I am pretty new to this forum. Since I started following the threads I've learned of this disease called HIKV. Didn't really understand it until now. I recently took the leap and ordered a 18" Ang Khola. Figured it would come in handy down on the farm for trail blazing or whatever. It hasn't even been delivered yet and I find myself drooling over a 18" Sirupati on HI's website. I think I need a vaccination. I am getting sicker by the minute!

There is no vaccination S.F. The only cure is more Khuks! I thought lack of money had cured me, but I just ordered a Kobra today--Uncle's "debt is good" mantra finally got to me:D

OH YEAH - There's LOTS of choppin' to do in them thar hills...PERFECT Khukuri Kountry :)

Ash,

I am new to this forum. I have been watching it for a while now. I have been honestly impressed by the friendliness of the HI forumites. I have a feeling it has something to do with the personality of the forum moderator.

Anyhow,about a week ago I bought a second hand 15 inch Sirupati on ebay from Townsville for $26US to see what these khukuris were like. I have no idea who made this Siupati but I love it. I think I am getting that khukuri bug and more specifically the HI bug. I can't help it. I love the Sirupati but would like to get something that carries on a belt easily but a bit bigger. I am considering the 16 inch WW11. I am after something that could be used for bushwalking and camping and am more interested in its use as a tool than a weapon. Having said that, I still would like something that fits both uses - any recommendations.

Ash, did you have any problems getting the HI khukuris through Australian customs?

Glenn,

You can't go wrong with either the 15in AK or BAS. The BAS is a bit lighter and will carry on a belt just fine. I actually modify my day-pack, adding 3 straps on the side (one though the belt loop, another around the handle to secure it in place an the third goes about 1/2 way down the scabbard to stop it bouncing around) so I can carry my khuks in easy reach.

About half of them have arrived resealed with an "Inspected by Australian Customs" sticker on them. Never had any worries getting them through. Welcome to the first stages of HIKV :)

Walosi: Sorry about that mate, but you knew it had to happen sooner or later. At least now any new purchases can be written of as "No dear, I've had this one for a while" ;)

I am new to this forum. I have been watching it for a while now. I have been honestly impressed by the friendliness of the HI forumites. I have a feeling it has something to do with the personality of the forum moderator

as one of em, thanks:) And yeah it has everything to do with Uncle Bill (moderator). It's like my old Aikido dojo, all kinds show up, but only the good guys tend to stay around. I think its because mean people don't find what they need here--arguments and backstabbing. Well except the playful ribbing we give our favorite cave dweller:D :p

Welcome to the Cantina Glenn:) Great to have another ozzie on board! I've dreamed of visiting Australia since I was a kid--I'll get there eventually:) Til then I'll play my didg's and dream:D

Ash,

After listening to all your good advice, I know you recommended the BAS, but I finished up ordering a 16.5 inch World War II. My 80 year old mother told me that I was like that as a child - I would listen to what everyone told me to do and then do the opposite.

I have to tell you though, I never knew making a decision about which model khukuri to buy could be so hard. I originally tried to order the BAS online (I was being good and following your advice that the best khukuri for my purposes) but couldn't seem to get my computer to work (I eventually realised the computer was fine and I was the problem). In frustration, I even phoned Uncle Bill from Australia to try to order over the phone using my credit card but Bill pointed out that he couldn't do that. By the time I got the idea how to order online it was about 3am in the morning and would you believe it, I had changed my mind to the World War II - which is what I knew I really wanted before you gave your advice - don't say it - I know what I am like - you should hear some of the ways my beautiful wife has described me - but then again she has had to put up with me for 26 years. I also have to thank Uncle Bill. Because of the sale, Bill is paying the delivery cost and that more or less convinced me to go for the slightly bigger and slightly more expensive World War II rather than the BAS. Anyhow, the BAS will still be there in the future.

Uncle Bill, do you realise how much anguish you cause us mere mortals by offering so many models and forcing us poor misguided owners into making these painfull decisions.

Back