Taking the clip off my Sure Fire E1...HELP!

ALright...once again, I need some help from my gadget budies. I LOVE my E1 (had it about 6 months) but I find the clip useless! I tried to take the sucker off the other day and it wouldn't budge an inch. I cnnot remember what size allen head, but all it did was strip out the head. Any ideas on how best to get the clip off now? Although I was using the correct size allen head, it wouldn't move and now it is stripped. I even tried (after it was stripping out) to use a Torx head and even a small flat head jammedinto the corners of the previous head.

HELP!

David

------------------
David P. Sproles
Eagle Scout Class of 1988
"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Prov. 27:17

Oh boy, I was going to suggest a torx screwdriver. The only other thing I can think of is cutting a grove in the hex nut with a thin hacksaw blade, then hope you can use a flatblade to unscrew it. If all else you could try drilling it out, but take the lamp out first and try not go get in to deep, a drill press would be the best way to go.

Good luck

Brock

------------------
led site and flashlight site

Do you know anyone with a good screw removal kit-the kind that work like a reverse threaded screw that you drive into the old screw? Finding one that small may be pretty difficult, and expensive (unless you know someone that could do it for you). I would want to find out why the screw was so difficult to remove in the first place though. Is Surefire using a permanent thread locking compound on these?

Paul

Try sending to to Sure-Fire with an OOPS letter. They have great customer service and like to laugh at us when we "screw the pooch."

Don't take the clip off, it might be useless as a clip but it is very useful as a "brake" for little flashlights rolling off the table!
If you take it off, you will find that you will need to be careful when you set the E1 down on a flat surface, as it will want to roll away from you!

You could file the screw head off and lose the clip totally.

They have drill/reverse tap sets for removing sheared or stripped bolts and screws. They're not very expensive, but at the size you need, may be hard to find. Try Sears.

Dave

------------------
A syllogism is a logical statement in three parts.
This is not a syllogism.

Kkimo,
That's what I was talking about. I'm not sure if Sears would have one small enough to do such a small screw though. They might though. I haven't had to look for one that small.

Paul

This may sound funny but may be worth a try. Take it apart and put the middle section into a pot of boiling water and boil for 5 to 7 minutes. Take it out CAREFULLY as it will be hot and then try to remove the screw using a torx driver that you "wedge" into the screw head. It may be that loctite was used on the screw and boiling will loosen it. Works on my knives when I have to take them apart and run into an overly tight screw.

I have also used a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel to put a slot head in a screw and use a slotted scredriver to remove the screw.

------------------
Art Sigmon
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Php. 4:13

"For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword"
Heb. 4:12

I took the clip off of mine. It came off very easy. I ended up putting it back on. My son ate the little rubber cover off the button though. Do you think they would fix it for me? (surefire)

------------------
Brian
The first knife was probably used to cut stuff.

Well...the Dremel idea worked. TWO reasons why i think that it worked. (1) the new screw head slot was perfect for my standard flat head. (2) the heat from the friction loosened the Loc-Tite (if that is what it was) and allowed me to EASILY take that sucker right off. Thanks for the input fellas!

As always...you were a big help.

David

------------------
David P. Sproles
Eagle Scout Class of 1988
"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Prov. 27:17

Back