Taking the scales off?

Hey guys. Just a quick question.

I want to take the scales off my RC4 to take the coating off to personalise it. what the heck do you use to take them off? Allen keys don't seem to work... Do i have to go get one of those benchmade kits?

Cheers.

Last edited:
If you find removing the scales that difficult, you should just leave the blade the way it is....

If you find removing the scales that difficult, you should just leave the blade the way it is....
As harsh as it is, I tend to agree.

They are allen bolts. If allen keys aren't working the key is either the wrong size or the head is stripped.

har har. So it's just allen keys then? the one's i've got are either just too small, or too big, and i've tried 3 sets already.

Good stuff. I just didn't get how i could get no luck with three sets. I'll keep on looking...

My ESEE 4 took a 3/32 Allen wrench. It's a DT, PE with the canvas handles. Idon't think the color matters though.

If you must, then try heating the heads with a soldering iron.
I believe there is thread locker on the fasteneres.

If you must, then try heating the heads with a soldering iron.
I believe there is thread locker on the fasteneres.

Prob thread lock to keep people from removing and asking for new screws through warranty....

Only knives that have had the scales off here are hest & izula before I ordered them.

I am planning to dye all my esee scales soon though. But if I screw it up I know where to buy them....

Miasma, I notice that you're from Australia... I had the same problem with finding the right size Allen key originally too (in Canada) to put Izula scales on.

Note that the Izula scales (and I presume the RC4's) use Imperial Allen keys, NOT metric (which is what you and the rest of the world outside of America is using).

In Canada, you can get both imperial and metric keys at the dollar store or at a local hardware store... both are fairly common and easy to find. If you can't find any in Sydney, you can also use standard Torx wrenches and they will fit perfectly (just be careful because they're obviously not designed for Allen key holes even though they fit). I only had one set of imperial allens, so I had to use a Torx on one side and it worked for me.

Hope that helps!

When I first got my 6, I was marveling at it and eventually I took out all the screws. I immediately regretted it because I chinked up one of them and when I put them back on the fit wasn't perfect, like when I got it.

I'm not going to send it back or anything, it's no big deal, but if you don't know what you're doing, and no offense but it kinda sounds like you might not, it might be best to leave those on.

ESEE screws are aluminum and easy to strip. All that's needed is one twist with a slightly smaller, wrong size allen key and you're done. If the screws are stripped, even 20 different sets of keys won't get the screws off.

Some people who apply LockTite, often apply the wrong type for the job, or type of screw. LockTite of any kind is not needed on ESEE scale screws. In fact you don't even need to crank them too tight.

About using torx wrenches in allen key slots ... :D not a good idea.

ESEE screws are aluminum and easy to strip. All that's needed is one twist with a slightly smaller, wrong size allen key and you're done. If the screws are stripped, even 20 different sets of keys won't get the screws off.

Some people who apply LockTite, often apply the wrong type for the job, or type of screw. LockTite of any kind is not needed on ESEE scale screws. In fact you don't even need to crank them too tight.

About using torx wrenches in allen key slots ... :D not a good idea.
The ESEE website claims their screws are black oxide stainless steel. Unless it's different for different models?

The ESEE website claims their screws are black oxide stainless steel. Unless it's different for different models?

It would very much surprise me if they were aluminum, considering how easy aluminum is to strip. Especially since Jeff already has talked about about being annoyed with people stripping their screws too often, I don't figure he'd invite it, considering how people are.

When I have ever stripped my blades I leave the coating on the handle part so as to keep a coating of protection under the slabs. You could always polish the spine but leave the coating under the handles. No one would see it. Besides, the best way to personalize a knife is to just beat on it. :D:thumbup:

Nope, all the screws on my ESEE's are aluminum. I even just checked with a magnet. I have canvas micarta scales on my blades with the white screws. Maybe the black screws are steel. I don't have any of those to check for sure.

It's the barrel inside that is made from aluminum, that's what folk strip by over tightening.

Both sides, (barrel and screws), of several Izulas and 4 are all aluminum. I see on the ESEE website the 6 is displayed with black screws, however my 6 has white aluminum screws on linen micarta. Though I can't be sure my 6 came that way as I bought it used, not from a supplier.

Last edited:
Some types of stainless steel are not magnetic. A lot of appliances that have SS doors are non-magnetic (people get annoyed because they get their new fridge home and can't put Jr's artwork up on it), so just because the screws don't stick to your magnet doesn't necessarily mean they are aluminum...

I agree with the previous comments- I'd be really surprised if ESEE put Aluminum screws on their handles, especially since stripping them has been an issue.

Back