talk about customs

If the flat non-custom look handle on the CQC8's started about three years ago, I take it that there are no contoured handled versions exhibiting the wave feature. How about black versions? Were they ever available contoured and waved? I'm only thinking of existing knives here. The prospect of ordering a custom configuration exactly as desired, is of course impossible.

I got my CQC8 with the Commanderish handles right around 98. I think mine was the one in the photo on pg. 41 of the Jan. 98 Blade Magazine. The timing was right on. All of the ones I have seen prior to this were the Bananas with all the handle work. I may have a buddy of mine clean up the handles on my daily wear 8. The wickedest 8 I ever saw was one with a gut hook on the top. It was supposed to be to cut parachute lines, etc. Yeah, another studid pass. I heard Ernie's personal 8 has titanium bolsters. So lets see- the perfect Emerson-For me an enlarged (ES-1M) sized CQC8, waved with titanium bolsters, and some real nice micarta handles.

------------------
He who advances is sure of heaven-He who retreats of eternal damnation.

It's suprising how many of you guys including myself are from New York.

Anyway, as for the lenght of the blade on the CQC6 I personally would prefer a shorter blade. I personally don't really need a knife for defensive purposes, just to cut open a box or two or maybe to open a letter.

Ok all you Emerson NUTS!

Ive got a new one for sale, it will be up on the web site, probably tomorrow.

The Japanese Market Only CQC6 with Rain Drop Pattern Devon Thomas Stainless Steel Damascus Viper 5 style blade, ground on the correct side (right side), CQC6 handle with Pearl Scales!

Price is only $3,300.00 ($3,200 if you use cash, MO or check the price is $3,200)! Emerson was selling these for $3,000 at the SHOT Show. Surely, you will let this humble dealer make $200! Even Nyeti would not label me a profiteer on this one! LOL

Now you know, once these knvies get back here from Japan, those slimy profiteer dealers are going to be asking $4,500.00 for them.

God only knows what Paragon will charge.

Yes, I will have this knife in New York. There will be a $25.00 admission charge for a private showing (cheerfully refunded should you purchase the knife).

Jackstraw, it's got your name all over it!

Seriously, this will be one of the ulitmate collectables of the Emerson custom knives.

No other knife by Emerson has combined the CQC and Viper series.

You guys asked for a collectible Emerson that was for sale! Here you go.

Les

Sorry, 4 year wait min. questionable QA/QC
I find another custom maker

------------------
Sir Grumps Alot

I hate Mondays!!!
smileyshot2.gif

Eric,
from what I know the Wave feature was designed subsequent to the contoured sculpted G-10 handles we are reffering to.
However, a fellow BF'er who 's moniker is Rossangthal has a prototype of a CQC 8 w/
the Wave feature w/o sculpted handles.
Nyeti had a CQC 8 w/ "GUT HOOK" which he feels deep remorse for letting go. Hindsight's always 20/20 is'nt it !

------------------
"This is the law:
There is no possible victory in defense, The Sword is more important than the shield, And skill is more important than either, The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."

Japanese CQC6 ? ? ?

Never even heard of it, however you have mail Les !

And yes, you can all have a go at me for not even knowing about it. In my defence, I do live in the UK where a picture of it is probably banned somewhere along the line.

confused.gif

Les-If you really read into my posts, you'll find that the profiteers I am talking about are not legitimate knife dealers (that would be you), it is the guys who are ordering knives with little or no money down, with the only goal being to turn it over the second they get it. I think we could all get our beloved customs much easier if a better job had been done establishing a true dealer network for Emerson customs. Anyways, that knife sounds waaaay to pretty for my tastes-usually its the uglier the better for me.

------------------
He who advances is sure of heaven-He who retreats of eternal damnation.

Hey Eric,
To my knowledge your assumption is correct.
I have never seen or heard of a Sculpted contoured CQC8 w/ wave.
Nyeti once had and now feels deep remorse,
a CQC 8 w/ "GUT HOOK" on spine, Black Oxide
that he let get away. But it had a different purpose. A fellow BF'er Rossangthal I belive
has the only CQC 8 w/ Wave feature I've seen.
My assumption is that it will come out in the future so one will have to have that.
Sort of a Planned Obselescence Thing if you follow. Sony and GM have been doing it for years !

------------------
"This is the law:
There is no possible victory in defense, The Sword is more important than the shield, And skill is more important than either, The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."

I was wondering if anyone who has ordered an Emerson in the past, was given choices to "customize" their knife i.e. different handle materials, bolsters, blade coatings, etc., because I just recently placed an order and they said that there were no options for the knives ordered today. Has it been like this where you had no options, you had to take the knife as Emerson saw fit to it? Thanks.

Well, back in the days when there was no question about who was making the knives, you could get your CUSTOM knife anyway you wanted it. Thumb studs instead of disc? - no problem; black ti coating? - no problem; serrations? - no problem; etc etc. I saw some really nice pieces as recently as '98, like a black bolstered/black bladed CQC7 delivered. But ever since the CQC6 blades started looking just like the production ones - bead blasted, secondary bevels, different grind angles - its been "this way or the highway". I don't know why everyone is so silent on this issue on these forums. I mean, its not like your getting the knives you were promised, and if you do, you're not getting the product you ordered four years ago. That's why we're such a small group on this thread - if you haven't experienced the Emersons of old you really can't appreciate the change! At least all the Vipers out there were made by hand when it meant something to own a "custom" Emerson. Anyone out there able to challenge that assertion?

Hey Tamishigiri,
The CQC-8 with the gut hook was described as a chute line cutter earlier in this thread but you mention that it had a diffrerent purpose. Was it to clear small weeds and such for snipers or was an actual gut hook? Do tell.

------------------
Never argue with a man that wears a size 5 hat.

Hey guys,
I have mine, but for anyone out there who wants a cqc8, Les has one on his site. Bet it won't be there long.

------------------
The wheel is turning and you can't slow down,
You can't let go and you can't hang on,
You can't go back and you can't stand still,
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will.

Jbravo,
As you said, the blades on the newer 6's are definately different than the older ones. The handles are almost identical except that my newer 6 has file work done to the bolster. You would figure that the older ones would have the file work instead.

Blade on the newer 6 definatley looks machine ground/laser cut. Edge is not even hand finished, it has grind marks, instead of a polished finish.

Hey Chris,
Good to talk to you always !
The "Gut Hooks" real purpose was to remove bothersome hangnails from some CO's writing hand at Dawm Neck who was Co of Mob Six.
NOT !!!
Seriously it was a legit Gut Hook that after one thrusted into the visera of the unlucky
adversary it could/would be Ripped up or laterally to aid in removing as much organ
and other stomach flora etc. Similar to techniques used in Bando, Banda Banda, Petik Tersia (sp.) Mindinao FMA etc. you'll get the idea ! It was cool and little did he or anyone have any idea how cool it was at the time. That would be a real deal collectable !
biggrin.gif

------------------
"This is the law:

Nightglock,
There once was a time when you could have it your way !
I don't see things changing for some time w/ the backlog and demand for Custom's etc.
JBravo is right on point.
We should all appreciate what we have and realize this is the way it is. If you choose not to engage or participate then accept what you can change or move on. We have a choice and we make conscious decisions ! (Hopefully !)
biggrin.gif

------------------
"This is the law:

Did everyone see that Viper/CQC6 on Les's sight?
That knife is AWESOME!!
Wish he would make that in a plain user model. I would say it is my second favorite Emerson, first place going to the Viper 3.
Take Care,
Al

I just took a look too and I love it. I'm not a big fan of damascus but the handle is lovely. I also like the Viper CQC hybrid. The CQC6 is one of my favourite handle designs, besides the old CQC8 handle.

Jason

Back