Talk me into (or out of) a Tanto blade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glock Guy

Gold Member
OK so I’ll admit that I haven't been the biggest fan of the Tanto in the past, however my feelings seemed to have changed recently and I find myself actually thinking about getting a Seb 21 with this shape. And while I’ve always thought that the Tanto shape *looked* pretty cool, I have always wondered about the actual functionality in terms of daily use.

For those of you that have had (or still have) the drop point and/or Insingo style blades, does the Tanto actually perform well in comparison, or is it a distant 3rd?

Finally does anyone actually prefer the Tanto over any other style, and if so, why?

Thanks!

Last edited:
They will all have their benefits in various applications. For me, the big difference is that you have to be comfortable/ know what you are doing sharpening a tanto. Easier to mess up because of the "corner" in the edge.

Smarter people than me may disagree, just my experience.

Sharpening aside, I find it useful for most tasks and no blade shape is perfect for all tasks. I prefer the Zaan to the Sebenza tanto but have both.

Thanks for the input so far.

I forgot to mention that I've taken into consideration the difference (and added difficulty) in the sharpening process, which has been brought up here and is a very valid point.

For some reason I was just thinking that the Tanto would be a distant 3rd in terms of actual usability and cutting ability compared to the drop point and especially compared to the Insingo. It looks like there are more than a few Tanto fans here, and my concerns may not be anywhere near as bad as I thought, which is a good thing!

Thanks again, and keep the comments coming please!

^^^TR and Peter make good points

My first CRK tanto is due to arrive tomorrow. I've carried that blade shape for several years (Emerson). I usually carry a traditional blade as well.

Get one. My guess is that you'll like it. If you find it's not for you, post it on the exchange. Worst case, you'll lose a few bucks, but you'll KNOW first-hand if it's a blade for you.

-Sean-

I wasn't a fan either, until I got one. For most day to day tasks, a tanto works fine. For food prep, they suck.
With me being a plumber, a tanto works great for de burring plastic pipe. I've got a Umnumzaan and 21 tanto that is part of my EDC rotation.
It's like you've got two points for piercing.

Sexy can be quite dangerous...I have more than a few ex-wives that are capable of proving that point (pun intended). The first one I bought was for its looks, but they perform well.

Reeve tantos have an awesome grind with belly along the "tip." It's closer to a regular straight back blade than most American tantos. It probably shows better with the lighting in this pic:

2FDBF8E0-3805-4F6C-B463-B0ED706B9341.JPG

I actually like the Small 21 Tanto better than the drop point. The long flat and corner make it great for taking down boxes. I haven't personally come across anything that a drop point would do better, although I haven't used it for food prep or dressing game--though it should do just fine gutting a trout.

As for the 'Zaan tanto, it just makes me feel good. I'm fortunate enough to also have a drop point 'Zaan which seems capable of anything--if I could only have one knife, that would be it. But the tanto just screams "Bring it!" and leaves me with a smile.

IMG_1912.JPG

Sharpening, as others have stated, will be a drawback.

Last edited:
10-4 and thanks.

I should mention that I'm actually looking at the *small* version of the seb for a Tanto, if that makes a difference. I've had the drop point and insingo, and all were nice in their own way, but they are gone now. I figured if I pick up another small thank maybe it should be a tanto since I've never had one in a seb.

I like Tantos for edc uses. Especially they are good at cutting paper laying on a flat surface. Like for example a piece of paper laying on a cardboard box. Another feature I like is Tantos often have stouter tips that aren't likely to snap off or otherwise get damaged.

I actually don't mind sharpeing tantos becaise it is usually sharpening one straight edge then another. I find that more time consuming but easier.

I like Tantos because they're powerful!! :oops:

Tantos are nice because they give you two flat cutting edges do for me it gives me a scraper and a knife. I've accomplished the same thing with my Insingo by sharpening the swedge that goes to the tip but it's not the same.

To me a Tanto looks powerful almost aggressive - it's like it got two point's.
As I use my knives for food preparation I prefer round curves.
It is unusual and might therefore frighten other people more than a drop point.
Since you are talking about a small, go for it and try it - and please tell us your experiences.
hope this helps

IMG_2596.JPG CR does a fantastic tanto grind!
I kinda lucked into a large 21 tanto and love it!
You won't be disappointed!
Joe

OStAKR7m.jpg

I like a tanto knife for gardening and lawn work. Best knife to scrape off the bottom of the lawnmower deck, cut weeds around poles, etc. In the kitchen, tantos don't do as well as a "normal" shape.

Thanks again for all the comments so far.

It sounds like this is great as an EDC, especially for jobs that need a bit more strength, but is not the best choice for food prep, which is fine as I won't be using it for that.

Great to see all the tanto fans coming together, too!

Thanks guys!

Appreciate the comments guys.

After giving it some more thought, I think I might be leaning more towards a Large Tanto rather than a small. I prefer the large size, and think this will give me more of a chance to use the knife in "normal" situations.

My EDC rotation includes Reg, Insingo & Tanto in Small, Reg & Insingo in Lg. One night a block of ice needed to be chipped into drink cubes, my son asked for a knife, I realized that the Micarta Small Tanto that I was EDCing that night was the best of all my Sebbies (toughest point) for that tough task. Took my son about 20-25 min to reduce that 12" cube of ice to chips. No visible damage, this was a well used Small Tanto.

YMMV
Mike B

They are as useful as any other blade. They do take a little getting used to at first and while I did carry a large Tanto Zaan for a bit, it was too big for my tastes and I traded it off. Never quite bought into the Tanto the first time around.

Recently I found myself interested in the style again and picked up a Fatty Harpoon Tanto.
It's a fantastic blade and after getting used to it, I really enjoy it. It's a useful shape and I think if given a chance, most guys will appreciate the style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back