Tamang, yeah! Test and review...(update sheath)

jfox95307

Gold Member
Got the bamboo root tamang in the mail yesterday. Rained all day, so I edged it and cleaned and oiled the handle and polished off some of the scale (just for fun.)
No rain today, so out we go for a walk.
You know its impossible to resist using a new Khukri ;~}

Here she is under the yellow house lights.
0113201855a-HDR.jpg

Now out to the trails for a test.
I had already cut this log into about five pieces before I did this.

0114201531-HDR.jpg

A small pile of firewood in about five minutes.

0114201534-HDR.jpg

I think it'll do....

0114201535.jpg

Will it knock the VUK by Purna off my belt? Nope, the VUK is a laser.

0113201912-2.jpg

Impressions:
The Goods! -- This thing cuts wonderfully. Definitely chops better than any bowie or other straight bladed knife I've ever handled. The log in the pics is slow growing grand fir from and old growth area. Very tough stuff. I cut a dead standing fir about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and it was 45 years old! I was able to rip through this log about 10 times in as many minutes. The re-curve area is very sharp and makes feathers and fuzz and carves beautifully. Also,
Bamboo Root!
This stuff is beautiful. I cleaned the duirt out of the grain and put one coat of oil on. Already can tell I love it. Very nice.
Took a razor edge!
This thing handles like a dream.
Whitling a limb down to a toothpick was the most fun I've had in two days.

The edge has been micro rolling. However, I think this is because I had a very thin edge on it and the steel is no overly hard, but tough as the dickens. I have determined that I inadvertently put a straight wire edge on it. Seems I've gotten so good at keeping an angle while hand sharpening that I ground and stropped a wire edge that was perfectly smooth and straight. This is what has been micro-rolling. I've been honing with E-5 emery at a steep angle to try to bring it down, but it is very tough. Even all the chopping I did today has removed only about half of the wire. But we are getting there... getting sharper every time I use it.

The not so good:
The sheath is basically not useable. There is no way to carry it and the leather is very thin.
But the main issue with the sheath is that there seems to be a tack or some hard object embedded in there somewhere. I kept getting a dulled edge in the same place and couldn't figure it out till I noticed it was happening in the sheath. No problem, don't like the sheath anyway.

Final thoughts:
I like it.
This dang Tamang can hang, mang!

I will use it some more and then perhaps have a sheath made.

Great write-up! :thumbsup:

I was able to nab one of these today and this would seem to confirm that I made a good decision.

Great write-up! :thumbsup:
I was able to nab one of these today and this would seem to confirm that I made a good decision.

I saw that you did, that's part of the reason I posted the review.
There's been a lot a Tamang love goin' around lately...

I saw that you did, that's part of the reason I posted the review.
There's been a lot a Tamang love goin' around lately...
Thanks! :thumbsup:

I admit to being influenced by both Forum pressure and Ms. Yangdu's persuasive photography. :)

That bamboo root looks awesome!

Original Tamang gentleman carried the knife in his back pack Jola to keep him safe from enemy.

Thank you, Yangdu.
I actually might do that if I had one. :D
I saw one on DOD a long time ago. The over the shoulder day Jola.
I want one!
Do you have more of those?

Update:
Edge issue resolved with hard stropping--hard stropping always pays off ;~}

Bandaids on three fingers...can't touch this thing...need sheath quick!

On a side note, I've discovered two new types of wood finish contaminates while woodworking on--very--sharp knives.
Blood and bandaid glue.
It's the things you never thought of that'll get you.

Update on sheath:

The offender...

0116201119-HDR.jpg

One of the end tacks was protruding and fouling the edge. Talk about frustration!
Pulled this thing out and saw it as an opportunity.
Got a D-Ring and some spare buffalo skin from another sheath.
Tied these on with 550 guts then wrapped with 550 skin. I also wrapped the end of the flap with 550 guts.
Now in emergency, I have nearly 20 feet of 550 skin and guts. Easily removable leaving the ring still securely tied on.

0116201903-HDR.jpg

The ring flips over nicely out of the way for packing.

0116201950a-HDR.jpg

The front.

0116201950-HDR.jpg

I was careful to adjust the tension by testing the blade retention along the way.
Fits snugly and passes the upside down shake test.
I made an ugly loop to test it and it works great. Will probably have several loops made when I have my next couple sheaths made.

Success!
No more mystery edge fubars and a dangler.

Love the Tamang, and I know a fella who could help ya out with a sheath:rolleyes:;). I like your mod you did to fix the scabbard, it came out very cool.

Hey, man...
I was going to send you an e-mail today, but I wanted to see how I liked the setup first. All the danglers I have seen have been poorly constructed in my opinion (except yours) I don't like the way most of them just flop around. I like more control when mashing through the thickets. Lots of blackberries and salmonberries and ferns and all kinds of other grabby things. Also, I think I would have been more open to the idea if it had been called something besides "dangler."
Dangler just doesn't sound like something I want at my age...
Anyway, I really like the way this handles, and with a couple different sized loops, it would be very versatile.

I gifted the knife you did the last one for, but kept the leather because it fits the twin perfectly. But after I get a new one for the VUK (with dangler) I'll gift this sheath to him also. He is fairly tickled with the knife and your work as well.
Makes me happy to make someone that happy.

E-mail shortly forthcoming.

Great work on sheath , pix and post.
Tamang Knife is one of by favorites Knife!
Thank you for sharing

Back