Tanev Family Knives Bulgaria

Hi there, I came across this brand called Tanev Family Knives by sheer chance on one of my google image searches and found some guy in the USA was talking about them. Never heard of them before; a small 2 brother company in Bulgaria, making knives for about the last 6 years or so. They perform all the steps in house. Anyway got myself one of their newish models, a T8 Cryo treated too, in one of my favourite steels N690. Heres's some pics of me using it and I'll put a couple of links to a a blog and video I shot whilst hiking with my kid in the mountains, just a short 14km round trip BBQ thing but enough to convince myself that I made the right choice. Check them out, they are pretty well made I reckon. (and no, I'm NOT getting paid to say that LOL!). Enjoy!
TFK_P1070198.jpg
P1070133.JPG

Ignore my gut!

TFK_P1070109.jpg

No tree was damaged for this shot!

P1070136.JPG
TFK_P1070156.jpg
TFK_P1070127.jpg

Porky pig stewing away with potatoes and sweet red pepper (and salt!) on my trusty 30 year old XGK running on some very old diesel fuel (not the best bit all I had) LOL!

TFK_P1070153.jpg

It's a high Sabre grind, straight edge bevel, easy to feather with.

I would have liked to see a lanyard hole (working over deep snow) or water, or crevices/holes of unretrievable depths LOL, to avoid any undue swearing after dropping ones knife! But I can live without a lanyard hole.

Anyway yeah here is a link to the blog piece

https://hardcorecampingtools.blogspot.com/2020/09/tfk-company-tanev-family-knives.html

and here is a link to a video

Ill ignore your gut if you ignore mine! We'll tell each other we're in great shape for our age;). Nice knife! I like the profile a lot.

LOL, agreed! Yeah it is indeed a nice profile, thanks for taking the time to check it out!

The XGK reference alone just deserves a thumbs up! Glad to see someone cooking by other means by open fires!

The MSR XGK (for those not familiar with it) has been for years the reference expedition multifuel stove for high altitude. Burns basically anything flamable, does not clog easily and it is robust with very little moving parts. The original model has been recently upgraded to the XGK EX, which is supposed to be even better.

The knife? Well, it looks great, seems to cut nice, the blade shape appeals to me and the steel is a good choice. If you are not affraid of modding, drill a hole, chamfer it and voila! Instant, lanyard hole. You might need to use a solid carbide bit though (unless the handle is skeletonized and you happen to drill through a tang void.

Mikel

The XGK reference alone just deserves a thumbs up! Glad to see someone cooking by other means by open fires!

The MSR XGK (for those not familiar with it) has been for years the reference expedition multifuel stove for high altitude. Burns basically anything flamable, does not clog easily and it is robust with very little moving parts. The original model has been recently upgraded to the XGK EX, which is supposed to be even better.

The knife? Well, it looks great, seems to cut nice, the blade shape appeals to me and the steel is a good choice. If you are not affraid of modding, drill a hole, chamfer it and voila! Instant, lanyard hole. You might need to use a solid carbide bit though (unless the handle is skeletonized and you happen to drill through a tang void.

Mikel

LOL, Glad to read someone else is a fan of the old XGK! I love mine got it when I was a fresher, it's basically been all around the world and up to just under 6000m LOL (melting snow). Is still serving me very well. My son wanted a new one and I said, u must be kidding, this will still be working when u are my age!

Yeah maybe I might drill a hole, we'll see!

Thanks!

LOL, Glad to read someone else is a fan of the old XGK! I love mine got it when I was a fresher, it's basically been all around the world and up to just under 6000m LOL (melting snow). Is still serving me very well. My son wanted a new one and I said, u must be kidding, this will still be working when u are my age!

Yeah maybe I might drill a hole, we'll see!

Thanks!

Long time ago, when I was searching for a multifuel stove, I was debating between the MSR XGK and the Primus Multifuel. After asking a local store guy, he steered me into the (at the time, new) Primus Omnifuel direction... and I am glad he did because for melting snow and boiling water anything goes, but for cooking/simmering... nothing beats a double valved stove (liquid fuel and vaporized fuel near the noozle).

So sadly, my experience with the mighty XGK is not from owning one (I have used one on ocassion)

The new one is supposed to be self-cleaning, which is a nice addition because these stoves when used with anything but white gas / Coleman fuel, they clog easily... and they tend to do so and stop working when you need it the most. Also the new XGK has a flexible fuel line so it packs smaller and has foldable legs to stabilize bigger pots. I would say that your son asking for a new stove is a nice excuse to buy the new model.:D:D:D:D:D

Mikel

Mikel

Yeah only once did i ever have a problem with the jet getting dirty but it was due to crap fuel. I had the jet cleaning needle with me at the time but we were actually on a small island, it is permanently inhabited but no chance of getting any kinds of tools to service it. I had to borrow someone’s multi-tool to service it! But yeah the newer models all have a shaker jet cleaner, so no tools necessary!

Looks like a nice heavy duty knife.... bit heavy for my taste, but THANK YOU for showing the balance point in the video.

What's the stock thickness? Website says 4mm, but looks thicker in the video.

BTW I like to bring a small light chopping board with me (mine is a bamboo one that doubles as a lid on an army mess tin) if I'm going to be doing a bit of food prep, really adds to the convenience and hygiene :)

Looks like a nice heavy duty knife.... bit heavy for my taste, but THANK YOU for showing the balance point in the video.

What's the stock thickness? Website says 4mm, but looks thicker in the video.

BTW I like to bring a small light chopping board with me (mine is a bamboo one that doubles as a lid on an army mess tin) if I'm going to be doing a bit of food prep, really adds to the convenience and hygiene :)
Hi there, yeah funny thing is when i saw the pictures of this knife on their web page, it also looked like it was wider than 4mm but it is definitely only 4mm thick, I actually did measure it LOL! Yes a small chopping board is great, sometimes i take one of those ultra thin small plastic boards with me, they are only like 2mm thick or so. I actually used one once to to make a "poor man's" Kydex-type scabbard LOL! Out of the HDPE material.of course not Kydex material.

...I like to bring a small light chopping board with me...

You will not find me packing a cutting board of any kind during a backpaking trip, I can promise you that. HOWEVER, I recall a couple of my backpacks having a remobable back plate for support that could double it's duty as a makeshift cutting board. Or at the very least be replaced with an equivalent shaped piece of a suitable cutting board material.

Other backpacks have a very dense, closed cell eva foam mat that once unfolded, doubles as a insolating biby mat (quite usefull if you screw up and need to spend a night out there, much more comortable than lying over your coiled climbing rope!)

Mikel

I have 2 cutting boards and usually take one ..the bamboo is 3oz and the larger thin plastic is 1.3oz, so I'm happy for the convenience vs weight penalty. I usually go for alcohol stove (or Ti Firebox Nano) so it balances out vs a gas or MSR liquid fuel stove.

But then I'm usually carrying a bunch of knives, guns and camera gear - that's the heavy stuff!!

The Tanev T8 is 7.40z according to the OP which is expected for a stout knife. If I need a fixed blade I'll usually have my Mora Kansbol which is 3.5 oz + my 3oz chopping board :)

Back