Tanto Lawman?

Hint hint Cold Steel. Can't let Spyderco out-mall-ninja you guys on the classic model can you?

gtDP9iV.png

Just about any knife can use a tanto version, yes within reason of course, at least for me anyway. Nice looking knife but not into the Para's.

Just find it interesting that the Lawman is one of the few OG triad lock designs that doesn't have other blade variations. Others like Recon 1, Code 4, Voyager, Prolite, Golden Eyes etc. all has multiple variations. I wonder if the blade just doesn't work with the fingerchoil or some other reasons.
If there's market for Code 4 tanto, i would imagine there should be market for Lawman tanto too. That is, if they make things in satin finish so more people will buy them.

Just find it interesting that the Lawman is one of the few OG triad lock designs that doesn't have other blade variations. Others like Recon 1, Code 4, Voyager, Prolite, Golden Eyes etc. all has multiple variations. I wonder if the blade just doesn't work with the fingerchoil or some other reasons.
If there's market for Code 4 tanto, i would imagine there should be market for Lawman tanto too. That is, if they make things in satin finish so more people will buy them.

I definitely agree with this. Never thought about it before this thread, but the AL is one of the few top selling folder lines at CS that has a single blade style. But I never thought much about the PM2 having a single style until lately.

The only tanto I own is the Storm Cloud. I really don t like it, and have no interest in getting another tanto blade. I definitely don t think Spyderco has done the PM2 any favor making a tanto version.

I do agree that a satin version of the Lawman with its corrosion resistant s35vn steel could rival the PM2 and any other edc on the market in sales. But maybe the black blade is just too big a part of its image.

If there's market for Code 4 tanto, i would imagine there should be market for Lawman tanto too.

Still waiting for the Espada XL tanto lol.

I would love to see both of these. :thumbsup: The Espada looks like it would need some handle tweaks to accommodate a tanto blade, but I'm no expert. I'd take a Voyager XL tanto in G10, too. :D

I would love to see both of these. :thumbsup: The Espada looks like it would need some handle tweaks to accommodate a tanto blade, but I'm no expert. I'd take a Voyager XL tanto in G10, too. :D

G10 with stainless or titanium liners. I don't mind, in fact I prefer those kind of knives for the most part. I have never found the weight a problem for me, quite the opposite, probably why I own Spyderco's as well as CS. The tanto configuration was my introduction to CS decades ago and still my favorite style blade from them. It does have its limitations though, some are not suited for the tanto like a 6" TiLite Tanto, Frenzy etc.

Lol i know right...
Yep.
But as much as I d like the uncoated version, I ve kind of gotten used to the dlc blades, of which I have three. Two xhp and one s35vn. I m not sure I d buy the satin version just for the looks. I sure don t need another Lawman. But maybe.

Last edited:
Yep.
But as much as I d like the uncoated version, I ve kind of gotten used to the dlc blades, of which I have three. Two xhp and one s35vn. I m not sure I d buy the satin version just for the looks. I sure don t need another Lawman. But maybe.
I don't really care about satin vs DLC. I'm only harping on this from a product development perspective, which is my day job. IMO not having non-coated version is a miss because it limits the market penetration of this model, which could give CS bad data that this model isn't popular in the market. If CS based their business decisions on these data, then they may decide to make less knife of similar type. I've seen many business decisions based on incomplete data like this across many industries.

An example is the mini Recon 1. It didn't do well in the market and was discontinued. Could it because it only came in DLC blade? We never know. But CS may decide to discontinue it and not pursue similar knife in the future because the may conclude that "people don't like small knives, we should focus on XL knives". Another example is the discontinued Frenzy model. Maybe it wasn't popular because its 6" blade is too long? CS may decide that they shouldn't make more wharnie blade.

It's easy to conduct simple market research to get some data. E.g. CS could’ve surveyed BladeHQ/Knifecenter, asked about competing models i.e. Para 3 or mini Griptilian, and what's the ratio of Satin vs DLC sales for the same model.

Last edited:
Personally feel the lawmans competition is the Spyderco manix 2
WvAkxUl.jpg

I think the lawman platform could benefit from different variations. It’s probably the best platform offered if you think about it. Light weight but strong. S35vn. A blade length that makes it legal to carry in most places. Good overall length.

A stone washed version, clip point version or a tanto version, reverse tanto version too, would open it up to more potential customers.

Back