Taylor/Ceto Balisong

Hey ya'll, I need a little info. I know nothing about balisongs, but I picked one up at the flea market this morning. It says: "Taylor/Seto Surgical Japan on the blade and there are a couple of words on the side of the blade but is worn off. I think one word is Dragon but it is not Golden Dragon. It looks like it is Dragon and then some other word I can't make out. The handles are solid aluminum with ridges. Can anyone tell me something about this knife. This is what I really need, another kind of knife to get interested in.

Thanks, Darryl

Hey DarrylD,

Welcome to the balisong forums.

The only thing I can think of that Taylor/Seto ever put out was the Golden Dragon, although, maybe it's a Dragon Claw??

Try to post a picture, That would help for sure..:)
There weren't too mant Aluminum handled Taylors out there, so this one seems pretty cool...;)

Here is a picture of my balisong. Just scroll down the page on the link. It will be the third picture. I could be wrong about the aluminum handles but that is sure what it looks like and I think the whole knife was black coated at one time.

Taylor/Seto Balisong

That one is very interesting...:cool:

I haven't seen one like that before.
Especially since I've never seen a Taylor bowie blade on a balisong.

I'm not sure it's aluminum, it's probably die-cast. Melted down old matchbox cars.:D

Good find!!!

The handles kinda look like bamboo...

The Aluminum Taylors can really be known by the weight!!

If the handles feel heavy at all, it's probably die-cast pot metal (Zamack)

This aluminum Taylor/Seto Manila Folder is lighter than the current BM40 titanium series.

The blade looks exactly like my old Bear's blade. Other than that, I've never seen something like that before.

Good Stuff

Thanks Blade-420 for posting the pic on here. The knife does feel a little heavy, so you're probably right about it being die-cast. Thanks for all the help. I've learned a little about balisongs today.

Darryl

That's a cool-looking bali you have there. I've never seen one with handles like that! Thanks for sharing! :)

Thanks for posting that Darryl.., and for the pic-conversion Blade. Gotta admit that's one I've never seen either..

Nice find...

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Thanks Darryl, that's a interesting knife you have there. Has me stumped as well. But hey eventually someone will so up who knows everything about this little blade. I really dig those handles. Stick around here get nice and addicted like the rest of us.

Wow, that's a new one for me too. I've never seen those handles or blade style on a taylor before. Nice find!

Cool! Nice find, Darryl.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be worth? What's Taylor/Seto balisongs usually worth?

blade_420: Are all the Manila Folder®s made by Taylor/Seto, or is Manila Folders just a trademark they've been using for manila style balisongs?

Manila Folder is a trade name for Taylor/Seto,
But a balisong set up in a Manila configuration, means that the latch is on the "safe" handle, and not the "bite" handle.

Originally posted by blade_420
But a balisong set up in a Manila configuration, means that the latch is on the "safe" handle, and not the "bite" handle.
Yeah, I know that. I'm not a TOTAL newbie! ;)
Sorry, I know you were just trying to help. So thank you.

Only Taylor/Seto made Manila Folders. How old are these balisongs anyway? Are they still made?

If memory serves, and since I suffer from CRS syndrom, it may not, Taylor Cutlery was a Tenn. based knife importer. Wish I had kept the catalogs. The Manila Folder, when I was selling them, were offered as, solid brass, brass with rosewood inserts, aluminum, and aluminum with rosewood inserts. They also had fhe "Golden Dragon" which was either 7 or 9 inches long, can't remember. Only sold two of those. The big ones were pretty much a POS. The others were pretty decent for the price. The blades could take an edge and had pretty good steel, 420 I think. Last catalog I got from Taylor had no balis in it. Post ban. I have no idea if Taylor is still in business. As far as still being made, I doubt it. Don't think the non US market would support the demand. I could be wrong about this.:confused:

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, i gotta start going to flea markets more often!!

nice knife!

Doesn't Smith & Wesson use Taylor to produce their autos? I believe they are still around. I also remember reading an old post that showed manila folders still being produced, just not available in the US. I'll try to find the old thread which had a link to pictures and the company. I recall someone sending them an email asking if the would ship to the US. Think their response was that they would if it was a large order; or maybe they said they'd ship to another country (forum member). That person would have to somehow ship them here...probably not a big deal. I also sent them an email, but I never got a reply. I can't even remember if the website was in english or not. I'll try to find it though. I would be nice if we/someone could figure out a way to be able to buy them again.

Hey ya'll I think I'm gonna put this Taylor/Seto balisong on Ebay. If anybody wants to join in the fun, just do a search under username Naltak. I gotta get rid of some knives to pay for the handmade ones I am buying.

I was wrong, indeed. Taylor is still very much in business and involved with S&W. As for the Mainlia Folder still being produced, I have no idea. They were a pretty decent bali. Like to find them again.

Well to my surprise Ebay ended my auction for policy violation. And just as it was beginning to get exciting! I guess they consider my balisong a switchblade. Shows you how much I know about balisongs. Only I wonder why they didn't end all the other auctions that had balisongs? I babble on.

Frustrated in Florida, Darryl

Back