TB Steelcraft Bodega pivot spinning

I bought a Bodega on the secondary market a week or so ago and the opening action is great. The closing action is a bit sluggish so I decided to clean it. Actually it might just need the pivot screw to be backed out a bit. I've tried to unscrew the pivot and the other side just spins. The other side is small and pointy and impossible to get a grip on with pressure from a big rubber band. I tried heat and that didn't work either. I tried the Begg Knives website, the part that is still in Petaluma, CA and submitted a request for a service and I got an immediate auto reply saying that someone would get back to me but nothing in over a week.

Any advice? Actually all I want is to get the pivot screw off.....

Darren

P.S. here's a pic:
Bodega.jpg

I encountered this before and what has worked for me in the past is to place a wide rubber band on a flat surface. Lay the show side of the knife onto the rubber band (ensuring the pivot makes contact with the rubberband) and then try to loosen the pivot screw. Make sure you push down as hard as you can. Just make sure you're doing this on a surface that will not destroy the finish of that knife (use a mouse mat etc.)

I encountered this before and what has worked for me in the past is to place a wide rubber band on a flat surface. Lay the show side of the knife onto the rubber band (ensuring the pivot makes contact with the rubberband) and then try to loosen the pivot screw. Make sure you push down as hard as you can. Just make sure you're doing this on a surface that will not destroy the finish of that knife (use a mouse mat etc.)
That didn’t work as the other side of the pivot still just spins even when I put significant weight on it. The rubber band just gets bunched up as it moves.

Next: I need to buy a heat gun

Why disassemble it?
Clean it with warm water (and a little dish soap, if you think it's gunked up), and open close the blade a few times while rinsing. Blow it out good - compressor or can - then lubricate the pivot.
I think the only modern folder I've HAD to disassemble is a small WC 21, and only because the grease gums up during long periods of disuse. (I've done a few others in order to change scales)

Why disassemble it?
Clean it with warm water (and a little dish soap, if you think it's gunked up), and open close the blade a few times while rinsing. Blow it out good - compressor or can - then lubricate the pivot.
I think the only modern folder I've HAD to disassemble is a small WC 21, and only because the grease gums up during long periods of disuse. (I've done a few others in order to change scales)
the action is a bit sluggish for a Reate made folder. I have a Reate K-4 and the action is drop shut. Personally, I think the pivot is a bit tight. For me, taking a knife apart is part of maintenance and ownership. I've taken apart my IKBS Shirogorov F95 and it was no problem. Caged bearings are easier for sure but it's not difficult if you can get the pivot off. This knife is another story.

Back