Teaching son!

KFU

Part Time Knifemaker, Moderator
Took my 5 year old out front today to teach him to make his first fire. Thought the Bushcrafter needed some use so he made fuzz sticks and attempted to start with a firesteel. He still needs some practice! My eight year old has gotten pretty good so this is his attempt.
014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

What a great knife! I convexed it back down to zero and it just rolls fuzzsticks.

Last edited:
I am a stay at home dad and have found that being able to take my boys to the woods and on the river has maid up for the early years! Being able to teach them new skills and watch the discover new things Is beyound words. Enjoy it man

Whoops! I meant Bushcrafter, thanks MW

Yeah, he is getting pretty good. He loves doing it. We are actually working on his first knife for Christmas. He has been bugging me for awhile now about it. He actually profiled out himself, drilled the holes and started on the grind. I cleaned it up for him but he did great. I can't wait to see his eyes light up the first time he gets to make fuzzsticks with his own handmade knife!

DD, Im actually contemplating stepping down at my current job into something with less hours. I have been fortunate this year, selling everything I can make and would like to free up some more time for the family and knives. They are getting to the age where the weekends are full with sports, scouts, etc and I only get one weekend a month off.

Last edited:
DD, Im actually contemplating stepping down at my current job into something with less hours. I have been fortunate this year, selling everything I can make and would like to free up some more time for the family and knives. They are getting to the age where the weekends are full with sports, scouts, etc and I only get one weekend a month off.

THIS is all solid thinking. Do IT! I mean - how much money do you NEED? Scale back your life - simplify, simplify, simplify - and then have more TIME to be with the ones you love. THOSE are needs.

I am a professor - so I am lucky enough to be home with my kids when they need it. I love it.

TF

Here is a cool learning exercise we did in the scouts WRT fire starting. It was a race. Each team was given 1 piece of a 2x4 that was 1' long and two white tip matches. A string was tied between two small poles 2' off the ground. The first team to burn the string, wins. Its a great firelaying/firestarting activity. You've got to process the 2x4 into tender kindling and bigger pieces, get them stacked, and lit.

Being your own boss is freeing, I won't try to dissuade you. I will say that if my wife didn't work, and her job didn't offer health insurance I'd still be in the workforce.

Good on you for taking the time to teach your kids like that. Not enough of that these days it seems like.

We will have to try that, thanks Andy.
I work 60 hours a week now so I would like to cut it back to 40 with weekends off. I need to keep the health insurance!
Derek, I love spending time with the kids. Freeing up time in my schedule would allow me to coach and participate more. Im thinking about getting some of those old school Bike coaching shorts they wore back in the day! Remember those bad boys??????????????????????
download.jpg

Here is the crew a couple years ago. I need to get some current pics!
197911_1828077976254_1069447468_32099620_3123435_n1.jpg

16645_1220714530802_1617106042_583305_3923112_n.jpg

Last edited:
Man. It is great to put a name with a face. You have a beautiful family.

Do it Chris, I gotta agree with the gang. Except keep the health insurance, that is a killer outside of employer sponsored plans... Oh, but skip the shorts...

Thanks guys. I am pretty dang lucky.

No shorts? I have a vivid memory of my dad wearing those things back in the eighties during football and baseball practice. I think even my coaches in High School were still rocking them in the early 90s!

Back