Recommendation? Teak Burl

Hello everyone.

I've ordered some teak burl scales for a matching set of kitchen knives. I'm planning on using G10 liners with epoxy and corby bolts.

Just looking for advice to avoid pitfalls.

I understand that teak can gum up sand paper quite badly so intend to do most of the leg work with rasps.

I'm plan on wiping the worst of the oil away with acetone before trying to glue, as well as roughing up both surfaces.

Any other tips would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Looks like you've hit all the right points. Acetone or mineral spirits definitely helps, as does roughing it. Save some sawdust in case you come across any voids in the burl. You can fill them with the dust and apply cyanoacrylate super glue, it'll blend right in. Teak's a bit soft but it should work fine for handles.

Eric

Looks like you've hit all the right points. Acetone or mineral spirits definitely helps, as does roughing it. Save some sawdust in case you come across any voids in the burl. You can fill them with the dust and apply cyanoacrylate super glue, it'll blend right in. Teak's a bit soft but it should work fine for handles.

Eric
Thanks Eric.

One more question, is there any particular epoxy you would recommend for use with teak? I'm in the UK.

Any good grade laminating epoxy. West system, System-three are available in the US. Chesck with a local woodworking sop or store to find out what is available in the UK. Maybe Araldite?

Slow cure (3-5 hour min. 24 hour is best). The "quick" epoxies should be avoided unless there is no other choice.

Back