Team Leader in 440C, Smoothed.

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by Horn Dog, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Horn Dog

Horn Dog

Sep 9, 2005
    I really like SOG knives. While the Zytel handles are durable and less expensive to produce than micarta or G-10, I find their texture very natural, much like grabbing a prickly green pine cone! I wish that SOG would offer upgraded handle scales for the Team Leader. It would look great with micarata or G-10 scales. Becker did that with their line, but they are out of business. In the mean time, I sanded the scales on my new 440C version. It feels better to me and still grips well. Not as pretty as micarta, but it works for me.
    [​IMG]

So far, I have left the wonder steel version alone.
    [​IMG]

2. Chris@SOG

[email protected] Moderator Moderator

Oct 21, 2003
    Nice work. That looks great. I do not know if we will produce a smooth handle that you are looking for but it should be quite easy to make your own handle for the Team Leader. I would actually like to see it with a something like a colored canvas Micarta handle.

We have a guy that works on our repairs department that has made his own handles and he says it is quite easy. The handles are a breeze to remove and you could use them as a template for the new handles. Then you would still have the original handles and your custom ones.

If I can get him to bring in one or get me pictures I'll post them.

3. New Pig Hunter

New Pig Hunter

Dec 4, 2002
    Way Cool, great job !!!

Cheers,

Carl

4. Swamp Turtle

Swamp Turtle

Jul 24, 2007
    Let's see some more of your work, Corn Dog.

5. SIRGALANT

SIRGALANT Banned BANNED

Mar 16, 2005
    in regards to leaving the "wonder steel " version alone , doesn`t it suck when you`re too afraid to get the fist scratch on a knife? i know you mean you`re not going to sand the handle, but why not use the knife? you paid for it , why be afraid to use it?

6. Horn Dog

Horn Dog

Sep 9, 2005
    I never said I wasn't going to use it.

7. SIRGALANT

SIRGALANT Banned BANNED

Mar 16, 2005
    cool :thumbup:

8. Lava

Lava

Aug 17, 2007
    Wow, the filed down handles look gorgeous! great job!