Team Leader in 440C, Smoothed.

I really like SOG knives. While the Zytel handles are durable and less expensive to produce than micarta or G-10, I find their texture very natural, much like grabbing a prickly green pine cone! I wish that SOG would offer upgraded handle scales for the Team Leader. It would look great with micarata or G-10 scales. Becker did that with their line, but they are out of business. In the mean time, I sanded the scales on my new 440C version. It feels better to me and still grips well. Not as pretty as micarta, but it works for me.
SOGTL014.jpg

So far, I have left the wonder steel version alone.
SOGTL013.jpg

Nice work. That looks great. I do not know if we will produce a smooth handle that you are looking for but it should be quite easy to make your own handle for the Team Leader. I would actually like to see it with a something like a colored canvas Micarta handle.

We have a guy that works on our repairs department that has made his own handles and he says it is quite easy. The handles are a breeze to remove and you could use them as a template for the new handles. Then you would still have the original handles and your custom ones.

If I can get him to bring in one or get me pictures I'll post them.

in regards to leaving the "wonder steel " version alone , doesn`t it suck when you`re too afraid to get the fist scratch on a knife? i know you mean you`re not going to sand the handle, but why not use the knife? you paid for it , why be afraid to use it?

in regards to leaving the "wonder steel " version alone , doesn`t it suck when you`re too afraid to get the fist scratch on a knife? i know you mean you`re not going to sand the handle, but why not use the knife? you paid for it , why be afraid to use it?

I never said I wasn't going to use it.

Back