TechStudio K01 Profile Sharpening System

Thanks for posting this Jim, great review. Curious... what are the vises made of? And if steel, tsprof maybe you can answer to what level is it hardened?

Hardened steel I believe. :)

That must be why they can get such low angles... the Wicked Edge could get much lower if they converted to hardened steel as the aluminum would bend at lower angles (and still does sometimes at the existing angles). Kudos to TS on this call!

That must be why they can get such low angles... the Wicked Edge could get much lower if they converted to hardened steel as the aluminum would bend at lower angles (and still does sometimes at the existing angles). Kudos to TS on this call!

It's very well made, very solid. :thumbup:

Thanks for posting this Jim, great review. Curious... what are the vises made of? And if steel, tsprof maybe you can answer to what level is it hardened?

Thank you for good feedback! The clamps are hardened to 30-35 HRC. Clamping force ~100Kg for single clamp. Here is an angles table for different clamps:
12745567_1706104366301986_2863152119664388970_n.jpg

My 2 cents

I have ordered newer model K02

There was some waiting list for month or so. But shipping itself was fast

While packaging itself was really poor

Plastic case came completely damaged

b420f905689b.jpg

f1cea0b7cbf6.jpg

b77cf98c51b9.jpg

e9e0d008ed45.jpg

But the worst thing - they just haven`t put ordered sharpening stones inside

So I can`t even try it :)

My last few emails have been ignored

So my advice - if you are going to buy from them, be ready to make unboxing videos, in case you need some proof for dispute

UPDATE 03/08/2016 After one month and opened paypal dispute, they`ve resent me sharpening stones.

Last edited:
Yes, indeed there is rare incidents with this plastic cases, it's because of the post transportation problems. Since April we dont use the cases and the new ones are more straight and reliable, and our regular free packaging is military boxes made of wood, it's not damages at all.
Unfortunately some emails are really can be ignored in an intense stream of orders and messages. Just for future reference you always can call us by phone, +7(950)155-73-21 if you speak Russian or +7(904)314-61-09 if you speak English.
We are very sorry for the incident, have you received the new stones? Have you tried the sharpener, what is your impressions?

Last edited:
Yes, indeed there is rare incidents with this plastic cases, it's because of the post transportation problems. Since April we dont use the cases and the new ones are more straight and reliable, and our regular free packaging is military boxes made of wood, it's not damages at all.
Unfortunately some emails are really can be ignored in an intense stream of orders and messages. Just for future reference you always can call us by phone, +7(950)155-73-21 if you speak Russian or +7(904)314-61-09 if you speak English.
We are very sorry for the incident, have you received the new stones? Have you tried the sharpener, what is your impressions?

I received stones yesterday. Will try later and leave short review. Thanks!

I received stones yesterday. Will try later and leave short review. Thanks!
Waiting for your feedback!
Here is a new review on youtube:
[video=youtube;hL_S5NrW-v8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL_S5NrW-v8[/video]

I googled techstudio but didn't find much info. I did find the website, but I couldnt find anything about cost. Where are yall ordering them from? I would be interested to know what they cost. Thanks

A bit about pricing. Cost starts from 185$ for K01 base kit discounted. K01 Base its complete kit with abrasives, clamp and all you needed for working.
Standard kit with double clamp and stand costs 270$.
The most expensive is K02 Full Kit 422$ and more for different accessories like protractors, microscopes, polishing stuff, advanced abrasives, abrasive holders, additional attachments, blanks and clamps.
Price is strongly depends on requirements, how the tool gonna be used. Different clamps, accessories and attachments for different blades. Blade length, steel hardness, grind type (flat, hollow or even convex grinds), sharpening angle, sharpness level, usage frequency, working table configuration and user's sharpening skills.
Feel free to ask questions here, by email (paultechman@hotmail.com) or by phone (can be found on tsprof.com, cant promise strong English level but still).

Thanks. How do you think it would work on a trapper or trapper jr? i tried a wicked edge on the trapper but there wasn't enough of the blade sticking above the clamp for the paddles to miss the clamp.

Thanks. How do you think it would work on a trapper or trapper jr? i tried a wicked edge on the trapper but there wasn't enough of the blade sticking above the clamp for the paddles to miss the clamp.

Could you post a photo and what angle you were shooting for?

With the K02 and low angle clamps I could sharpen this little blade at 15 degrees per side and could've squeezed another couple of degrees if I'd wanted:

aRQl2kA.jpg

Spyderco Military for size comparison. I can get that down below 10 dps easily:

UiLfafJ.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I can't post pics. I didn't take any at the time, and I don't have the WE anymore. I want to say I was trying to get to 10 or 12 deg per side but can't remember, it's been a little while back. I ended up buying the tormek small knife atachment to try out, but it had the blade off center. I built my own "small knife attachment" that would allow you to center the knife up, but still wasn't satisfied with that. I would like to get around 10-12 deg per side

I don't have this sharpener, but if you look at this earlier post, they make a "Removable Table" attachment, so if it's anything like the EdgePro, you should be able to hit pretty close to 0° (might take a little fiddling).

Could you post a photo and what angle you were shooting for?

With the K02 and low angle clamps I could sharpen this little blade at 15 degrees per side and could've squeezed another couple of degrees if I'd wanted:

aRQl2kA.jpg

Spyderco Military for size comparison. I can get that down below 10 dps easily:

UiLfafJ.jpg

Is the low angle clamp an extra

littleknife.jpg

It is a regular double clamp on the picture, not low angle, lowest angle for this clamp is 10 degrees.
Here is a few pictures of low angle clamps, double and single ones:
lowangleclamps.gif

Sorry I can't post pics. I didn't take any at the time, and I don't have the WE anymore. I want to say I was trying to get to 10 or 12 deg per side but can't remember, it's been a little while back. I ended up buying the tormek small knife atachment to try out, but it had the blade off center. I built my own "small knife attachment" that would allow you to center the knife up, but still wasn't satisfied with that. I would like to get around 10-12 deg per side

The low angle clamps is intended for little knives like Vicrorinox, for filet knives, long thin low angle knives, 6.5-7 degrees min angle by spec.
But real angle for little knives like in the pictures above is 7.5-8 degrees.
The trade-off for low angle is a knife thickness, all the low angle clamps dont like blades more than 2.5mm thick.
Low angle clamps it's an option, it's can be ordered with regular clamps or instead of. There is single and double low angle clamps, just like standard clamps.

Attachments

• IMG_8939.jpg
    IMG_8939.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Back