1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teflon adhesive?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by 3fifty7, Jul 11, 2018.

1. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Has anyone found an adhesive that sticks to Teflon? Seems like I'm trying to do something that shouldn't be done. I have some Teflon blocks that I want to use as handle material, on a spoon. The handle will be 6" with a 3" split over the spoon tang that will have 2 pins through it. I would like to use this if possible, but may end up with another handle material if I have to.

2. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    I would expect you will need to rough up the surfaces your are joining but beyond that I am not sure what if any adhesive will actually bond to that material.

3. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Silicone is another along with the polyethylene group are very difficult .
    ALL smooth surfaces should be roughened before attempting to paint or glue ! !

4. knife to a gunfight

knife to a gunfight

Oct 17, 2007
    Trying searching "PTFE adhesive" or "Teflon adhesive", and you should get some results.

Here's an example:

3fifty7 likes this.
  5. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Just use Corby bolts and a good sealant type adhesive. The adhesive won't really bond the PTFE, but it will make a tight seal. The bolts will provide the strength.

3fifty7 likes this.
  6. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    This is quote from AndrewC ,member here

3fifty7 likes this.
  7. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    I did have some limited success in bonding silicone sheet together , using silicone sealer. I also remember talking to a plastics guy - he said if you developed an adhesive for polyethylene you would be a billionaire overnight ! :(

8. joedhiggins

joedhiggins

May 31, 2016
    AFAIK, a good bond to teflon requires it be etched with something like:

http://ptfecatalog.actontech.com/category/fluoroetch-safety-solvent/

or

https://www.rshughes.com/p/Tetra-Etch-Etchant-Liquid-500-Ml-Bottle-TE-500/te_500/