Tell me about Imperial Frontier knives

I've been bitten by the knife bug. Actually, I've always had it but lately it's begun to fester.

Someone here (and I won't mention names - he knows who he is) planted a seed (out of the kindness of his heart) and it has haunted me ever since.

I have an Imperial Frontier stockman 4434 that that is in great shape. I can hardly bring myself to use it. In fact, I havent. The knife has stired my interest in classic stockmans and whittlers.

I've heard the Imperials called the red-headed step children but I can't help but like 'em. Could you point me to, or post a little history in the Imperial Frontier line? I'm not interested in the stuff from Ireland but the US production stuff.

Thanks,

Chris

There ya go Chris! Now just get one of each and you'll have a premier Frontier collection!!!

They are good knives. I have a couple myself. They were, IMHO, upscale Imperials. Most compare favorably to the Old Timer designs and materials.

Thanks for the link and the welcome to the addiction.

As for the quality being better than the typical imperial, I can't say. What lead me to the Frontier line was a comparison between a 4434 and a 8OT that I bought for my grandfather back in the '80's. When Grandpa died, my grandmother gave the 8OT back to me still in the box with the original white sleve over it. I bought it for him when I realized his trusty Case xx was broken at the tip. It was bought at Hoffritz and is etched so on the blade.

When I got the 4434 I realized that they were basically the same knife. The little details on the Frontier just stired something that made me like ot more than the 8OT. The nail nick, the high gloss black slabs, the polished blades...
It just seemed to have a little more effort put into it than the Schrade. I got that "they don't build 'em like they used to" feeling.

I still have Grandpas 8OT, and his Case which I fixed up by putting a tip back on and cleaning up.

Someone here (and I won't mention names - he knows who he is) planted a seed (out of the kindness of his heart) and it has haunted me ever since.

:rolleyes: yeah. right. Thanks Phil.

:D

Chris, glad you still like the knives. My email address is on my profile, please send your home address and I'll send you a catalog copy of these so you can see how many more you gotta find.

How similar are the Frontiers to the Schrades? Here are a couple of pics to illustrate that.
First pic: Note the blade installed on the black Frontier.
Second pic: See the Frontier powderhorn blade with the Scrhade Scrimshaw etch, on the Scrimshaw handle.

As LT often says, you never know what you'll find with Schrade

frontierwithschradetangmark.jpg

Scrimshaw.jpg

I use to have an old frontier! Paid 4.00 for it at Kmart in 1980!! it had the faux stag bone handles and a nice powder horn shield.

I like imperials here are a few.
154246930.jpg
154246925.jpg
154246919.jpg
154244495.jpg
154244485.jpg
154244480.jpg
154244477.jpg
154244473.jpg
You have to use the left to right thingy to see all the pics. This stuff is an example of what used to be inexpensive but is rising in value quickly. There are 8 pics in the post and five on the attachment thingy. It should give a general idea of some of the line. I also included pics of the dies used to manufacture the hollow handles as well as a special issue gold plated knife and a matching double set ( with an auto ). I hope you like the pics and I hope all this dosen't blow up the forums ( again ). LT

Attachments

• MVC-775S.JPG
    MVC-775S.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 30
  • MVC-776S.JPG
    MVC-776S.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 37
  • MVC-777S.JPG
    MVC-777S.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 30
  • MVC-778S.JPG
    MVC-778S.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 27
  • MVC-779S.JPG
    MVC-779S.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 34
:eek: Wow.

I'm glad I decided to start small with a specific line. If I had decided to just look for Imperials several things would happen.
I'd run out of space and money in a hurry, and the Mrs. would surely find the dullest of the bunch and skin me with it. :p

Rev, The models with the powder horn is the line I'm most interested in. All for personal satisfaction. I know I'll never retire collecting old Imperials but its better than Beanie Babies and baseball cards. At least I can use a knife.

They were good knives, but great, but good. They were about on the same par as the older shcrade models from the era. the fit and finish were not as good as the schrades (not to be confused with poor quality of the schrades produced in the last 10 years before schrade went under) use to have. They were rpoduced around the same time as the old ranger line of knives owned by schrade and the old (lower qaulity) diamond brand.

lt632ret said:
I like imperials here are a few.
154246930.jpg

154246925.jpg

154246919.jpg

154244495.jpg

154244485.jpg

154244480.jpg

154244477.jpg

154244473.jpg

You have to use the left to right thingy to see all the pics. This stuff is an example of what used to be inexpensive but is rising in value quickly. There are 8 pics in the post and five on the attachment thingy. It should give a general idea of some of the line. I also included pics of the dies used to manufacture the hollow handles as well as a special issue gold plated knife and a matching double set ( with an auto ). I hope you like the pics and I hope all this dosen't blow up the forums ( again ). LT

Maybe this will make it easier to view. I just put each pic link on it's own line.
Yeah, I am beginning to pick up a couple of the shell knives. They are interesting and not poorly made, but inexpensive. Thanks again for the pics LT!
Codger

I have several handfuls of the shell handle Imperials, and have shown some of them here occasionally. They are cheap and fun to collect, as Codger has said.

I am trying to resist the Frontier line, as that is just more money that I don't have.

BTW, Rich... you don't have to show that sheath pic...:eek: Compared to the work of another member here, that example is hobby kit stuff...

Glenn

That is a strange thing to say considering how important it is to me. Thanks again. LT

I'm glad that it is important to you, and that you appreciate my work. I enjoyed making it, and am proud of it.

It's just, that, when compared to the work of...say...Paul, it pales in comparison...

Glenn

The woods would be almost silent if the only birds who sang there were those who sang best. Thanks again. I also have a great knotted hat band also given in friendship, that as the cowboys used to say rides point upon my heart. Thanks to you also DON LUIS. LT PS I have your sheath I do not have one from Paul so as they say there is no comparison. I have seen pictures and yes they seem quite nice also.

I was looking on Ebay for some of the Imperial Frontiers that I'm interested in and came across one of the Irish offerings. I'm not looking to buy any of 'em but I can't help but look sometimes :p .

What I found was this one:
frontierstockman.JPG

Just out of curiosity, why is this one stamped "STAG"?

The Kingdom, Thursday, March 18, 2004

Quote:
Black day of cuts as jobs go at Imperial Stag factory

NORTH Kerry company Imperial Stag/Imperial Schrade Europe Ltd has ceased trading with immediate effect, it has been confirmed.

The company, which produces pocket-knives and cutting tools for DIY and gardening, has made the necessary arrangements to have a liquidator appointed.

This will leave a further 13 people jobless, with the announcement coming less than a fortnight after news that there would be 28 redundancies at the plant.

Staff were informed of the shock decision just weeks after management had announced that 13 jobs would be kept to run a warehousing and a small production line.

Last Friday members of SIPTU rejected redundancy terms which offered workers the statutory pay-out. A company spokesman said production in Ireland became very difficult as a result of cost pressures due to Chinese competitors’ pricing.

Other difficulties encountered included a reduction in product demand, particularly in US, triggered by the September the 11 attacks, where knives were used. Market and exchange rate difficulties due to the weakness of the US dollar also caused serious problems, according to management at the company.

“We regret having to take this final decision, which in no way reflects on the individual performance of our staff,” said a spokesman.

“ We acknowledge the contribution of our dedicated staff over many years and particularly their understanding and co-operation during recent difficult times for the company”.

Imperial Schrade Europe Ltd was established in Listowel 43 years ago and has significantly contributed to the economic life of the area, over this long period. Imperial Schrade Europe is a subsidiary of US-based Schrade Corp, which manufactures of knives and cutting tools.

Back