Tell me about Ryan Plan B

This knife has been pointed out to me be a friend. He has the Companion, and just wondering about the size difference of the 2. His Companion fits my hand well..and blade looks about the right size. Sure they give the exact measurements but doesn't tell how it feels in the hand.

Who can tell me the different of these 2? Is the ryan plan b small in the handle compared to the companion? Blade too short for daily carry/defense? What do you guys think?

Howdy,

Just picked up a Ryan Plan B, although I've never held or seen the Campanion. But the plan B feels like a good knife, it'll carry good in the small of your back, but that could get you into trouble, it's easy to draw and fits real nice like in the hand, well at least my hand. The clip on the sheath is also reversable so you can affix it to you're shoulder harness.

For self defense the knife will do nicely if ya gotta use it. Personally I'd keep it set up on my harness, as an easy to reach and ready to cut anything small, knife.

I like the look of it, but the blade looks kind of small..does it come in larger size, or is there another one out there with tha blade style? The handle also looks small

I have both knives and like both of them.The Companion feels better in my hand because it is a larger knife and it fits my hand perfectly.The Plan B also fits nicely in hand,very secure grip.I tried the Plan B as a neck knife but I was helping my Dad move and when I jumped out of his pick-up and when I landed the knife popped out of the sheath.I carry it only on my belt now.The Plan B is overall a great little knife.

Coudl someone post a pic of the companion and ryan side by side?

That would very very helpful, and give me a better idea of the size as I have handled the companion.

Ya, the blade does look kinda small at first, but in reality I find it to be a good size for a small utility knife, when I won't need to use my seal pup.

I got a plan B with ½ serrated blade a few months back. Kind of an impulse purchase as it was half price. (at least that is what I was told.) It is a very handy small utility blade and fits the hand well. The angled handle also lends well to applying pressure as in opening boxes and cutting up cardboard. Problem is it worked out a little too well during our last move and I can’t get it back from the wife. Darn, I guess I need to by another knife.

How would you rate as a self defense weapon? Life if you had to use it for self defense would it work well?

Originally posted by Angelus1781
How would you rate as a self defense weapon? Life if you had to use it for self defense would it work well?
I now carry mine in my car(side door pocket) because it small and easy to handle,if I'm seated.How would it handle?Only as good as I could use it.Anything with an edge and a point should work.Of course,I've never used my Plan B or any other knife in a SD situ.I like the snug grip that it gives me.

Back