Tempering advice on rope cutting knife

Hey Guys-

I've never entered a rope cutting competition before, but we're having one at our local show this week-end so I made a knife for it.

It was forged out of a 1,000 layer mix of 1050/1084. I clay coated it with satanite and quenched it in water (my heart rate sure went up water quenching a blade that took so long to make).

It came out super hard, and I've just run it through the oven at 310 for an hour to help prevent cracking.

Beings as I've never made a knife solely for this purpose before, I'm a little unsure as to the tempering temp I should go for.

I've heard some guys leave their edge quenched blades full hardness (just for rope cutting comps).

Any ideas??? :)

Thanks!
Nick

most competions involve cutting something besides rope, 2x4 and popcans etc.

Just rope? I don't see where super hard is an advantage. Unless it is mutiple cuts/most cuts. Blade geometry and weight plus form, is really the key to cutting rope.

1,000 layers 1050/1084 ? is it not a nearly homogenous blade?

I cant wait to see it! I have a table at that show too. Looking forward to seeing the rope pieces fly. I really think you are in the ball park with the quick light temper. I have seen many with no temper at all but they are for rope omly. You should be able to go through some full pop cans and still cut rope. Good Luck! See Ya There,

Bruce

Nick,If the competition is stricktly a rope cutting one like in Eigene.Where they see how many ropes at one time they can cut You will be fine at this temp.But if it is like the ones put on by the A.B.S. you will be cutting different things to judge the durability of the Blade and any cracking or chipping will dis qualify you.I would suggest at leat 350 to possiably 375 for a couple of hours.If you know that it is a multiple different cut comp.The best thing to do would be to sharpen it up and then take a coke can and fill with water then in one swing cut it length wise from top to bottom,I have seen this nick mre edges than most anything else besides the 2X4.If it nicks any then draw it back just a little,if not you are good to go.

Hey Good Luck in your first comp. and have a bunch of fun while you are doing it;)

That also sounds like it will be a really cool patterned Blade,lets see some pictures of it.
Bruce

Nick,

I have been doing my rope cutting blades just like I do all my other blades as far as the temper goes. Then I grind the blade to the thinnest cutting edge that I dare and then take off a little more. after the knife has been sharpened I take it to an old piece of hardwood (oak) flooring and really lay into the wood trying to cut a 2 1/2 x 3/4 piece completely in two with one swing. If the edge chips or rolls over then just sharpen it back at a little steeper angle. Do this until your knife stays sharp through three cuts through the board. after this your edge should stay for cutting rope. Good luck. And I look forward to seeing this knife in Eugene in April.

Bill

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Yep, this is just rope cutting. I'm figuring I'll get through about 15 :p

Actually I'll be happy if I just make it through the first swing at 3. I've NEVER cut more rope than the single one during my mock JS test so I'm going in GREEN.

Sounds like you've really gotten the testing down Bill! A flooring board in one swing?!?!?! WOW, that's awesome.

My main concern on the actual knife is that I forged/ground it with a lot of forward curve, and it really really moved on the water quench, it's darn near straight now. I anticipated it to move some, but not as much as it did.

Hey Bill, I said a small contest at a small show...nothing about a big ol pavillion chock FULL of people watching :eek: :eek: :eek:
But I'll bring it to Eugene to let you look at it :p

Thanks Guys!
Nick

Back