Tenacious vs Native

They are both really different. Do you like choils? Do you prefer backlock or linerlock? Tenacious only comes in one steel with g10 handle scales. native5 has many, many variations over the years including handle material and blade steel combinations. I recently bought a Native 5 lw that came with a free red checkered g10 tenacious. I can message you the link if you are interested.

Choil, backlock, and much better steel choices = buy the Native

Also, keep in mind that the G10 and LW versions of the native 5 have some big differences, liners and weight being the big ones but also the G10 feel vs the textured FRN. I also feel like all of my LW natives have been a little lighter action in the lock than the G10, meaning the blade swings more freely with the lock disengaged and less pressure needed to disengage the lock. The G10 version always felt more "tankish" for a small EDC sized knife and the LW is more agile. Both are pretty much the same physical dimensions though.

Nothing against the tenacious, but with both knives you get what you pay for and the native is more expensive for very noticeable improvements, IMO. But, if you can only afford a tenacious, it will serve you well too.

The Tenacious is a smaller, budget conscious version of the Military. It's larger than the Native, and has decent flicking action if you like to fidget.

The Native is a solid, compact backlock knife with a comfortable grip (although some folks say it just doesn't work for their hands). It's a proper Spydie not budget oriented, and a very good work knife. Also comes in a variety of high end steels and different handle materials.

They are both great EDC knives. That said, the only reason you should get the Tenacious is if you can't afford the Native and/or want a larger knife.

Tenacious has cheap steel.

Natives have better steel.

I own both knives.

Which one you "should" buy depends on how "feel" about your knives and how you intend to use them. I am very cost conscious and always prefer to keep my knives in "like new" condition whenever possible. So, I will not use an expensive knife when there is a cheaper one available.

Are you planning to just carry your knife as an EDC and use it only to cut paper and/or boxes. Then, buy a Native.

Are you planning to subject the knife to "hard" use? Then, buy a Tenacious.

Not because the Tenacious is "better" but because you can buy 2-3 Tenacious knives for the cost of a single Native. You can use and abuse them at will and w/the cheap but still relatively durable 8Cr13Mov steel, you can do most tasks w/o any difficulty. You can easily resharpen the blade when it gets dull and when the knife is used up you can just toss it out and buy another. This is why I'll never use any knife costing more than $5-10 to cut a box, when I have a cheap box cutter or utility knife costing $1-5 that I can use instead.

But, if you are not as cost conscious as I am, then go ahead. Buy a $100-160 Native and beat the heck out of it. It should stand up to the tasks well.

Frankly, I don't think you can go "wrong" whether you decide to buy a Tenacious or a Native.

Last edited:
I have a Native 5 G10 and a Tenacious. Both knives are both put together exceptionally well, with the Native having slightly better build quality, much better steel, and arguably better ergonomics. The steel on the Native is a clear upgrade, but the Tenacious's 8cr13mov is heat treated well and is about as good as that steel can get. The blade size and thickness is greater on the Tenacious, but the Native is smaller and more precise. I wouldn't feel bad about using the Tenacious hard, but I cringe a little when I think about doing something that would rough up my Native just due to how refined it feels.

People automatically groan when they see 8cr13mov on the blade, no matter how well it performs. I wonder how the Tenacious would be perceived if the steel's name was changed?

I think, as others have said, that the Tenacious is a nice knife, at a very good price, and will not disappoint. The Native is in another, higher tier.

Back