Testing the 20" AK

Recieved the Work of Art yesterday and tested. 19.5" AK weighing 31 oz by my postal scale, adjusted for the new rate increase. I believe it is by Sher, a rising sun.

This blade could probably be best thought of as an extended 18" AK per weight. It handles beautifully. Don't know if all AK's swing like this one, kinda doubt it. No, it is not a weapon per say, not lighting fast...but seems to accelerate nicely into wood. And achieves this with less effort I've seen with other blades.

I've noticed within my limited experience a threshold seems to be reached as you approach 2 pounds in weight. Length mitigates this, I'm sure, but for me, a carrying work Khuk weighs somewhere between 25oz and maybe 29. The extra ounces beyond that are more noticable, much like the 30.06 recoil energy over the .308, not great mathematically, but felt disproportionately. (though neither is hard hitting.)

Rained here for a week and sopped all the wood. I was a little nervous as I've had some blade problems in the past. I didn't know if this Khuk would hold up. Cut a 6" diameter wet pine stick through, no problem.
Buried the edge in a dry pine log, no problem.
Found a 6" diameter dead pine about 60 feet tall and started cutting. I wish I knew how Cliff Stamp evaluated this, but to me, the dead pine tests a blade. For one thing, it can be very hard and resiny, but with soft spots. A portion of the Khukuri could dig in deep while another part of the edge in the same stroke must handle harder material. Another problem is the tree moves. It is dry and dead and you are as much beating it with a club and knocking it around as you are cutting. It won't stand still, and this has to put additional strain on the edge.

A blade can only go so deep. You know this by the feel of the wood and blade as it bites. Swinging harder does not really improve cutting once you've found this balance. I intentionally swing harder, past this point. I swing as if I would cut through the log in one stroke. This is a test I use to satsify myself the Khuk is AOK.

How hard do you guys swing? I don't know. No one does. Scientists tried for years to understand how some wirey fellow could chuck a baseball 100mph but be unable to lift 200 pounds. I could always hit a baseball hard. (can't throw; go figure) I hit this khukuri hard.

I don't think I can break this blade.
and I'm lucky to have scored it. I worked it for an hour until my hand got blistered.

munk

munk,

be careful whacking on those dead,tall,skinny pines! They've been known to break in half far up the trunk due to insects/rot when the bottom is struck or when the thing starts to come down.

There's a very good reason that skid crews knock any thing like that down with cats or skidders before anybody like choker-setters goes out on foot, and it ain't just gub'mint safety regs!
One case where the safety regs are spot-on.

They're called 'widow makers' arent they? wouldn't take too big a branch or tree top to snap off and impale you or just knock your head in.

munk

pics we wana see pics...its nice to tell but better to show + my Vicodin fogged brain needs eye candy!

You can see the blade in the Works of Art thread. I don't have a scanner or a digital camera...sorry..be neat to show the blasted pine. There's getting to be a lot of pine stumps around here...

Vicodin is nasty stuff, not the least of which is the amount of tylenol you have to put up with to take it.

munk

When I did that kinda stuft for a few summers, everybody called the dead stuff "snags". Unlike green wood, the rotten stuff can snap right off and be down pretty much instantly. Can fall straight down too. It was dangerous enough for the choker- setters working near heavy equipment in a lodgepole pine thicket without the snags. Those skinny things can come down dang fast even when green. Need to run off far enough away whenever the rig moves. Hard work, glad I did mostly knot bumping at the log deck.

Pretty sure a "widow-maker" is a broke-off top, or branch (living or dead) that has become entangled in the canopy and could fall at any time. Even worse. Can come from a falling snag or a faller taking down a green tree. The fallers have to be careful not to leave stuff like that behind, or VERY clearly mark it so the skid crew isn't surprised. A green top barely hanging in the tree next door 70 feet up is hard to notice. A good faller doesn't make messes like that, and also marks where hornet's nests are. :)

I also have a Sher AK in the 18-19 range, just around two lbs. Good stuff, and my favorite user. I've been cutting coins and such with it for demo purposes.

Keith

From what I've read, Sher must be on a metal ration to put out lite AK's.

Getting different springs must be hard on a knife maker. You don't always know what you have. And, if springs are like anything else in this world, the manufacturer might change formula as market conditions change. Yeah, I know, unless fraud was involved (where? not in the US?) it would still meet the requirements for 'spring' but may not be the same for a knife maker.

munk

Firkin, I was taught green trees could do that too....the tops are notorious for rotting...I don't have a pine in my yard without many dead dry limbs as well. One came down in a storm is just about what I can lift.

I'm guessing the cutter who leaves a mess behind isn't well recieved by the rest of the crew.

munk

So far everything Art has reworked has been just fine and I think it'll stand up under the test of time. He knows what he is doing.

Many thanks for report.

munk,

I'm guessing the cutter who leaves a mess behind isn't well recieved by the rest of the crew.

At the company I worked for, anybody who created any possibility of additional danger didn't work for very long before they were fired. Accidents in that business are usually BAD, and help can be far away. Fallers gotta know what they're doing from an economic and safety point of view, they were probably the most careful. I think it was a long time before a new one was set loose from the guy teaching him. Longer than a summer anyway.

Wouldn't be surprised if they make folks wear all kinds of new "safety" equipment nowadays, but I can't think of anything that would help much in the case of a bad screw-up. One guy showed up with steel-toed boots and after an old-timer explained how he knew that most any accident involving a log would likely smash the metal toe flat, the guy had new boots on the next day. No steel toes. The wrong "safety" gear can make things worse. Good lesson.

BTW, I'd take dead stuff down with a saw if maybe rotten...less chance of breaking up.
Better yet, get a (long) cable on it and pull it down. I saw old lodgepole pine snags break up into several pieces the instant a rig bumped them to take them down. They used cables and the winch on anything too big to have a piece fall on the plate roof of the rigs. Dunno how hardwoods act, but old pine can be really scary.

Firkin, it happened just like you said. There was a 6-7" dead pine, 60 ft or so up, and I couldn't figure out which way it wanted to fall. I shook it before cutting and the top spun around loosely; I figured it was rotten. There were some trees within arm's reach so I thought I could cut fairly safely because of the shelter they provided.

The AK did great again. I have a winner. Works of ART are good for me. Anyway, I got most of it cut and just shoved the thing over, picking a direction. It left it's top in the branches of the tree next to it. An 8 foot section, 3" around like a spear head waiting.

Visitors to my lonely stretch of BLM behind my home are rare, and there are only game trails. Tonight we have some high winds from a storm blowing, OK and North Dakota you should get tomorow. If the wind doesn't knock it down tonight, I'm trimming another dead pine like a pole vault and knocking it down.

Thanks for your good advice.
munk

Firkin, I can't get it down. I even stuck another loggette in a tree trying. I'm getting the shotgun.

munk

Sheesh, munk!

Don't forget where the dang things are.

Since you can't sit under a steel plate roof and push the thing down, or shake it loose, maybe you could rig up some kinda grapple if you really just can't avoid the location. It ain't real smart to whack on your new widow-maker with a khuk, especially if you're out alone.

A couple of times we had to clear-cut a patch of those skinny buggers to control disease or pests. Everybody hated it. Most common phrase heard was "... %$#*!# pecker poles!" Now they have machines that have an arm like a backhoe with grapples and a giant toe-nail clipper that just nips 'em off. The fallers don't have to mess with them any more, but everyone else does. They make particle board or pulp from them--don't know if it pays or not.

If you're a fisherman and the trees aren't growing too thick, you might be able to rig something up like a big bass plug and cast it up there. Just use something expendable, and use a lighter leader so you don't tie your fishing gear to it too! (Used this trick to retrieve ducks from deep water when we went hunting without a dog)

I have an image of something like Charlie Brown's kite-eating tree with all kinda stuff stuck to it--
Good luck and keep safe.

You have a kite?

You know, a kite is a good thing. It is hard to hate a kite. People smile when they fly kites. They laugh and relax...

I got the shotgun and blasted the sucker. Left it dangling by a thread and a real strong wind came up. I'm going out now to see if it's down. If not, every evening between now and the fourth of July I'm shooting at the thing 4 times. 4 booms as the sun sets shouldn't alarm my neighbors too much...

The mining truck roared by afterwards with its light flashing...I don't know if the events are related..maybe they thought the explosions were farther up the canyon near the mountain where the dig is...

munk

Branch is down. Starting to look like a tornado back there with all the down wood from the khukuris. Art's AK has counted for 4 so far.

Someday I'd like to see what a heavy 20" AK could do.

munk

I coulda already told you munk was a man after me own heart. I keep 50 rounds of buck and 50 rounds of slugs - in both 12 gauge and in 20 gauge. One of these days I'll have to try some birdshot too.;) :p :D

Come to think of it a .410 might be just the ticket for those pesky black widows - the 3" mag version that is... :cool:

The only thing I've ever wanted a shotgun for was to chase desert game birds over hill and dale. I wasn't any good at it, but I liked roaming.

Then I moved next to several enormous rattlesnake dens and found a use. The large magazine shorties started to look good..a Mossberg military..ye gods..still want one. One day I traded my little used 12 gauge overunder for a AR and a mossberg pump. And now the shotgun has come in handy so often...

My dream one day was to have an overunder or side by side 20 for upland bird...and a shorty for general utility..
it's gotten to the point I wouldn't part with the mossberg. Too usefull. It's been sneaking up on my affections..and I was never a shotgun guy..but I am someone who considered shooting the log out of the tree with a .45 colt, and yes, it could have been done safely and easily.

But it is just too easy to load the shotgun and go outside to see what the trouble is. If you had one gun, you'd be smart to make it a shotgun. Deer, bird, and home defense. And stuck tree branches.

yes, I know there are better shotguns than my mossberg. It doesn't know that. "I'm getting the shotgun," will be heard again in my house.

munk

munk,

Glad to hear it's finally down. Having some crap like that fall on you could spoil your day and then some.

And kites are the greatest, next to building a model plane that flies all by itself when you let it go. I've not got any kids, but it really makes me sad to think of those childen here in this country that grow up where there's not enough space to do these things. Or even run around in some woods where nobody else is. Can't help but think that the lack of these experiences is responsible for some of the current insanity. Call me an old, cranky, cynical, senile fart at age 45. Look out when I'm 80 and stil have my khuks!

Back