Texan alligator gar fishing

[video=youtube;H4JAGmKNe1M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4JAGmKNe1M[/video]
Landing a gar near 120 pounds and over 6 foot on the trinity river while fishing solo. i was fishing an extremely good section of the river with allot of gar in the 100-200 pound range. i find the trinity river to be an awesome environment and i truly enjoy it and the awesome fish and animals that live on and in it. i will be looking to complete my quest for 25 alligator gar over 100 pounds for 2016.
2016 100+ Gar Count = 2

Do you catch and release or are they edible:D

Wow, cool catch for sure. What do you use? Around here the gar will hit top water and spinner baits or sometimes plastics pitched near them. I seen folks use rope to get in their teeth.

i only catch and release to promote the sustainability of the species.
i use 1/2 pound chunks of common carp, smallmouth buffallo, or gizzard shad on bottom with a 3/0 treble hook

That's a big ass fish. I fish for sturgeon but quit for the year after catching and keeping one. The bait costs a small fortune.

this will be my fourth year as a catch and release alligator gar guide, have landed 4 over 100 pounds in the last 72 hours.

Awesome! That's one of those fish that I dream of catching. I'm in the north east so I would have to make a trip to actually catch one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back